How do I apply?

How Do I Apply?

2015-09 How to apply taught

How to apply for a research course and phd at university college cork

We wish you all the best with your application to UCC.

Key points

  • There are closing dates for all taught programmes.
  • We welcome applications for research programmes at any time during the year. We advise research students to apply at least two months in advance of your proposed start date and that you have discussed your application with your proposed supervisor before making an application.

Qualification comparison

Qualification comparisons

A specific comparison between Irish and non-Irish qualifications is available here.

Irish grading system

The National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) is a framework of all learning achievements available in Ireland. You can find out more about the level that is required for your preferred course and where your current qualification fits within our framework at this link.

Please check the prospectus for individual course entry requirements.


English Language Requirements

All applicants whose first language is not English must provide evidence of English language proficiency. 

To view the minimum English language requirements currently accepted at University College Cork please click here

Eligibility for EU Status

For admission purpose all applicants are divided into two categories: EU and Non-EU.

It is important that you establish your status before you make an application to UCC as you will retain your status (EU/Non-EU) during your study and you will be unable to change from one category to the other in the middle of a course. Also there is a different application procedure for each category.

EU Status:

  • An applicant’s principal residence for the purpose of taxation must have been in a European Union Member State for a minimum of 3 of the 5 years prior to entry to university. Prior residence as a full-time student alone does not qualify a student for EU fee rates.
  • If an applicant is under 23 years of age on the start date of the course then the principal residence for the purpose of taxation of the parents will be examined. The applicant must also have been resident for the required period.
  • If an applicant is over 23 years of age on the start date of the course then the principle residence for the purpose of taxations of the applicant is examined.

P21 forms will be required in both instances and will be requested when an applicant applies though the Postgraduate Application Centre to confirm EU status.

Non-EU Status:

If you do not meet the criteria outlined above you will qualify as a Non-EU applicant.

This means that you pay Non-EU fees and apply through the International Education Office. For Non-EU application information and/or any other queries please contact the International Office.

Graduate Studies

Staidéar Iarchéime

2nd Floor, West Wing, Main Quad, UCC , T12 YN60

Contact us