Layout & Binding of Thesis
There must be a title page which shall give the following information:
- The full title* of the thesis and the subtitle, if any.
- The total number of volumes if more than one, and the number of the particular volume.
- The full name of the author, followed, if desired, by any qualifications and distinctions.
- The qualification for which the thesis is submitted
- The name of the institution to which the thesis is submitted – University College Cork
- The School or Department in which research was conducted.
- The Month and Year of submission.
- Name of the head of the School or Department concerned.
- Name of the supervisors of the research.
* The title should describe the content of the thesis accurately and concisely
Sample Title Page is available to view at http://libguides.ucc.ie/ld.php?content_id=31168460.
Table of Contents
The table of contents shall immediately follow the title page
Following the table of contents, a signed declaration should be included stating that the thesis submitted is the candidate's own work and has not been submitted for another degree, either at University College Cork or elsewhere.
The text must be either printed, typewritten or otherwise reproduced on good quality size A4 paper, with a left-hand margin 4 cm. Font size 12 and double or one-and-a-half spacing is recommended. Copies must be bound or otherwise securely fastened and numbered consecutively.
Binding of Theses
For the initial examination, soft bound copies must be spiral or gum-bound.
A copy must be submitted for each examiner to the Graduate Studies Office, along with the submission form.
If the examiners recommend that the Degree be awarded, the candidate must then submit one hardbound copy of the thesis at least four weeks in advance of the conferring date. This this will eventually be lodged in the library by the Graduate Studies Office.
Binding of Hard Bound Thesis Cover
The final copy of the thesis must be a hard bound copy -- the thesis shall be bound within boards and cannot have metal spines glued to the front and back covers. The cover colour is up to the candidate. The binding shall be of a fixed kind in which leaves are permanently secured. The boards shall have sufficient rigidity to support the weight of the work standing upon a shelf.
1/4 way down - Full Title of Thesis
1/2 way down - Full Name
Left Hand Side - Degree
Middle - Name
Right Hand Side - Year
Please note the University College Cork does not recommend any of these companies individually but would welcome feedback from students regarding the service received which can in turn be fed back to the service providers. Please bear in mind that different suppliers have different turnaround times for Binding.
- Albert Brown, Kilbarry Business Park, Dublin Hill, Cork. Tel: 021 4306901
- Barbara Hubert, Hatfield House, Tobin Street, Cork. Tel: 021 4277546; Website: hubertbookbinding.com
- Hackett Reprographics, 4/5 Copley Street, Cork. Tel: 021 4274014; Fax: 021 4273238; mob: 086 6087644; Web: http://hackettdigital.ie/contact/cork-city/
- MBE: Thesis Print & Bind Centre, Commerce House, 14 Washington Street West, Cork. Tel: 021 4975060; Web: mbeireland.com
- Thesis Printing and Binding.com, Helvic, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. Tel: 085 8143255; Website: thesisprintingandbinding.com; Email: email@example.com.
- Creative Design and Print,25 Westpoint Business Park, Clonard, Wexford. Tel: 053 9144265; Website: creativedesignandprint.ie
- Jimmy Marks, Mount Earl, Adare, Co. Limerick. Tel: 086 8210476 / 061 396625; Website: bookmarksbinding.ie
- Snap Cork, Crawford Hall, Western Road, Cork. Tel: 021 4975620; Fax: 021 4975625; Website: snapcork.ie
- Presentation Binding, Kilbarry IDA Business Park, Dublin Hill, Cork. Tel: 021 4303811; Fax: 021 4303813; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: presbind.ie