Explore This Page
The Digital Passport focuses on how technology can make your learning journey easier. Each session will focus on a different web tool or technology, (including your phone!) within a list of recommended tools that can be used in such a way to support your workload.
You will be introduced to solid file management principles, touch typing and general assignment related skills. Whether you are using Office 365 or Google workplace, formatting an assignment through Microsoft Word, or recording a PowerPoint presentation – having the digital competencies to use these tools will ease the assignment process. This programme covers topics such as digital file management, google calendar, the main components of Office 365, netiquette, and so on. By taking part in this course, you will increase your skills in digital literacy, which will help you manage your academic work.
On this page you will find:
- The digital passport schedule with the Google Meet link to access each session.
- The learning materials will be posted through here after every session.
- A booking form in order to book one-to-one IT clinics with a Skills Centre tutor.
- A form if you have any questions you would like to ask any questions in advance of the sessions.
All sessions will be taking place through the following Google Meet link - https://meet.google.com/upf-ngiq-emt
The sessions are online and deliverered virtually, if you are unsure how to use Google Meet for online group sessions, please view the following Google Meet and Teams Platform training. You can also check out our Minute Methods video on Netiquette: The do's and don'ts of Online Communication.
Digital Passport Itinerary
(Click on the items in the timetable below to be redirected to a Google Meet link)
Assessment: Learning Log
The Learning Journal provides you with an outlet to comment and reflect critically on what you are learning from the Digital Passport Digital Badge. It is an assessed piece of work, where students are awarded a pass/fail mark based on completeness. The Learning log entries relate to the Digital Passport sessions & workshops. Your comments and reflections should, wherever appropriate, refer to material covered in the sessions, but may also draw upon ideas from other studies you are taking and your own experiences, insofar as these relate to your learning in this course.
Download the Digital Passport Learning Log Template through here: Digital Passport Digital Badge Learning Log
- Word Count: 750 – 1,000 words
- Submission format: Word Doc
- Deadline: September 3rd, 12 noon
Further details on the Learning Log can be found in the link above. If you have any questions regarding the Digital Badge, please email email@example.com
Book your IT Clinic!
Throughout the course of the Digital Passport Digital Badge Programme, students will have the option to book one-to-one appointments with the SSkills Centre Team of tutors. These appointments which take place through Google Meet, will allow you to sit down with a tutor one-to-one, in order to discuss some of the topics which are explored in this programme in further detail. You can also cover additional digital skills which you are hoping to gain with one of tutors. Below you can book a time that suits you for an IT clinic with a tutor.
Digital Literacy & Skills: Learning Materials
Download the Netiquette slides through here:
- Skills Centre video on Netiquette: https://youtu.be/S8D9Nm9_WHA
- Digital Literacy – Netiquette: https://bowvalleycollege.libguides.com/c.php?g=10214&p=52001
- 12 Steps to get ready to learn online: https://studyonline.ca/colleges-and-universities/12-steps-get-ready-learn-online
Download the Internet Safety slides through here:
- More info on Internet Safety: https://www.Cooltechzone.com
- UCC Guidelines: https://www.ucc.ie/en/academicgov/policies/se-policies/
- Lecture recording Usage policy in UCC: https://www.ucc.ie/en/media/support/academicsecretariat/policies/learningandteachingpolicies/LRU_COVID-2020v41.pdf
Download the Email Basics slides through here: Umail Hacks & Email Etiquette Slides (UCC Skills Centre)
- UCC IT services resources on Umail: https://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/tips/umail/
- Gmail Cheat sheet: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9283036
- Schedule send your emails: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/9214606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
Download the Touch-typing slides through here: Touchtyping slides (UCC Skills Centre)
Download the Online Flashcards for Study Skills slides through here:
- Pre-made flashcards for studying specific topics: https://quizlet.com/features/flashcards
- Online Flashcards for studying: https://www.cram.com/
- Google Doc Cards: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1MSs_hpMbNmR-1L7gLOA5A09GiScdE2C4iCKuLGet_vM/edit
Download the Google Calendar for Time Management slides through here:
- Reading on Time Blocking: https://blog.rescuetime.com/timeblocking-101/
- Educational Video on Time Blocking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MFFzIxHy9k
- What can you do with Google Calendar? https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9302892?hl=en
Download the Mind-mapping slides through here:
- Download XMind through here: https://www.xmind.net/download/
- Google Drive Mind mapping: https://workspace.google.com/marketplace/app/mindmup_2_for_google_drive/758379822725
Technology to makie learning easier (Canvas course accessible to all): https://ucc.instructure.com/courses/32134
UCC IT services tips and tricks for UCC technologies: https://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/tips/
Skills Centre website: https://www.ucc.ie/en/skillscentre/
- Sessions & workshops: https://www.ucc.ie/en/skillscentre/sessions/
- Programmes & Digital Badges: https://www.ucc.ie/en/skillscentre/news-and-workshops/
- Learning Resources: https://www.ucc.ie/en/skillscentre/academicwritingstudyingresources/