Set Up Microsoft Authentication App
- Go to https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info or https://myaccount.microsoft.com/
- Under Security Info, click on Update Info
- Click on Add method from the Security info page.
- In the pop-up window, select Authenticator app from the drop-down list, then select Add.
- You will need to download the 'Microsoft Authenticator' to your device:
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.azure.authenticator
iOS - https://apps.apple.com/app/microsoft-authenticator/id983156458
- Once the app is installed click on Next on the Start by getting the app page
You may be prompted to allow the app access to take pictures / allow access to your camera if not previously granted. You must select Allow to let the app take a picture of the QR code in the next step.
If you don't allow the camera, you can still set up the authenticator app, but you'll need to add the code information manually.
- If you already use the Authenticator app on your device you can add another account by clicking
Three dots in the upper-right (Android) or three lines in the upper-left (iOS)
Select Add Account and then select Work or school account and then click Next. On the Set up your account page on your computer, if this is your first time using the Microsoft Authenticator app you can click on Next.
The Scan the QR code page appears.
- When you scan the QR code your account should appear automatically on your app.
You might get notified that an App Lock has been enabled. This will be the same method that you use to unlock your phone (code / pattern / password / fingerprint)
So when you go to open the App or get a request to approve a sign in, you will also be asked to enter your screen lock for extra security.
If the QR code reader can't read the code, you can select the Can't scan the QR code link and manually enter the code and URL into the Microsoft Authenticator app.
Select Next on the Scan the QR code page on your computer.
A notification is sent to the Microsoft Authenticator app on your mobile device, to test your account.
- Approve the notification in the Microsoft Authenticator app, and then select Next.
- Once you can see Authenticator app listed under Security Info, you can set this as the default sign-in method.
To download these instructions with step-by-step images see our Microsoft Authenticator App PDF.