I am finding things very difficult financially, is there UCC financial supports for this time?

Yes. University College Cork has established a COVID-19 Hardship Fund to provide support to students who have been negatively impacted financially by the COVID-19 pandemic. The fund is aimed at supporting students who are experiencing significant and serious financial hardship. This may include hardship as a result of loss of earnings due to business closures, self-isolation or illness.

The COVID-19 Hardship Fund will focus on assisting students with basic and essential needs during the pandemic response to COVID-19.

For more information and to make an application please see:


I have recently been made unemployed, is there any supports I can avail of? / I am on paid placement and my company has ceased employment due to COVID-19, is there supports I can avail of?

Yes. Depending on your situation you may be able to avail of specific Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) COVID-19 supports. New social welfare payments such as the Pandemic unemployment payment is available to employees and self-employed people who are unemployed or who have their hours of work reduced during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic. This includes people who have been put on part-time or casual work.

There is no restriction on people aged between 18 and 66 years applying for the payment provided they have been in employment up to now and it has ceased.

The payment has a simple one–page application form and will be paid for a period of 6 weeks at a flat rate payment of €350 per week for jobseekers. It is designed to quickly deliver a social welfare payment to the unemployed and provide income security during this 6-week period.

To make an application please fill out the following form on the website below and return to PO BOX 12896, Dublin 1. For support in making your application you should direct all queries to the helplines on Phone: 012481398 & 1890800024

For more information on the above scheme please see 


I have been told to self-isolate and/or quarantine on advice from my doctor. What financial supports are there for me as I can’t work now?

When a worker is told to self-isolate by a doctor or has been diagnosed with COVID-19 (Coronavirus) by a doctor, they can apply for an enhanced Illness Benefit payment of €305 per week.

To receive the enhanced payment, you must be:

  • self-isolating on the instruction of a doctor or diagnosed with COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
  • be absent from work and not getting paid by your employer

For support in making your application you should direct all queries to the helplines on Phone: 012481398 & 1890800024


I was expected to start placement but has been postponed due to COVID-19, what financial supports are there to help until I start placement?

You may be eligible for Supplementary Welfare Allowance. The Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme consists of a basic payment, called Supplementary Welfare Allowance, and other financial supplements for certain expenses you may not be able to meet, including emergency situations. As every case is unique it is advised you contact the DEASP helplines for more information and support on  012481398 or  1890800024


I am a international student who ha lost their job due to COVID-19, can I apply for the pandmic payment?

Yes. Students who are non-EU/EEA who have lost their employment due to COVID-19 are eligble to apply for the Pandemic unemployment payment. 


Who do I contact in relation DEASP Income Support?

The Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) has set up a dedicated helpline to provide information on available income supports for people impacted by COVID-19. The DEASP information team can advise on the most suitable income supports for your circumstances and provide information on how to make an application.

Contact the DEASP COVID-19 Helpline at  :012481398 or  1890800024


I am on a BTEA payment and was working casual part-time work, but now my employer has ceased my employment. Can I apply for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment?

Yes. If you were in part-time employment and your employment ceased due to COVID-19 then you are eligble to apply. This will increase your payment from 203 euros to 350 euros per week. 


Will I still receive SUSI?

Yes. Payments for SUSI will still be made and your payment will not be affected. 


I and/or my legal guardian(s) lost their job due to COVID-19. Can I still make a SUSI application?

Yes. You can make a SUSI application under a change of circumstances. Please see and  email for further support in making an application under these new changes. 


I am in receipt of a BTEA payment, will my payment be affected?

No. BTEA payments will continue as normal for the duration of the academic year. If your situation has changed financially within the household, please notify your local Intreo Office or Community Welfare Officer.


Where can I get regular updates about COVID-19 and UCC?

The University has set up a FAQs page which is regulary updated and dedicated to answer your questions in relation to COVID-19 and your studies, please see

Student Financial Supports and Advice