College Research Committee
College Research Committee (RC) Membership
Chair: Prof Simon Lawrence - Dept of Chemistry
Dr Colm O'Dwyer - Dept of Chemistry
Prof Mairead Kiely - School of Food & Nutritional Sciences
Dr Ken Brown - School of Computer Science & Information Technology
Dr Paul Leahy - School of Engineering
Dr Marcel Jansen - School of Biological, Earth & Environmental Sciences
Prof Mary McCaffrey - School of Biochemistry & Cell Biology
Prof Colin Hill - School of Microbiology
Dr Andy Ruth - Dept of Physics
Dr David Henry - School of Mathematical Sciences
Dr David O'Connell - Office of Vice-President for Research & Innovation
Dr Paul Bolger - Environmental Research Institute
Dr Stuart Collins - Analytical Biological Chemical Research Facility
Dr Saibal Roy - Tyndall
College Research Committee (RC) Terms of Reference
The role of the College Research Committee is to advise and assist the Head of College in the leadership and management of research in the College. Its specific responsibility is to advise and assist the Head of College and the College Council in the fulfilment of the research aspects of the College Strategic Plan.
The College Research Committee comprises one member of each school (or academic unit) in the College appointed by the school, a representative of the researchers associated with the College through its schools or associated research units, and a chair appointed by the Head of College. The Head, Vice Head of College and College Manager are ex officio members. Permission for occasional attendance by named alternates may be provided by agreement of the College Research Committee.
Members of the College or the wider University, including research units, may be invited to attend for specific agenda items at meetings of the College Research Committee in order to provide advice and assistance.
Working within the general organisational structure of the College, in particular acting as an interface to Schools, to the University, and to the other Colleges, the remit of the College Research Committee includes
- Working with researchers and academic units to develop and implement the strategic plan for research
- Working with researchers, research clusters and units to develop College contributions (where appropriate) to national and international funding opportunities
- Communicating and publicising the successes and outputs of College Research activities
- Enhancing relationships and working with Research Committees in other Colleges within the University
- Enhancing relationships within the College (for example, between Schools and Research Centres) and with other Colleges within the University.
- Drafting policies and procedures and reviewing current policies
- Interacting with the office of the Vice President for Research
- Promoting achievements in research and providing a College interface with university research quality measurement exercises
- Developing external relationships with funding agencies, nationally and internationally and with other Universities and Research Institutions.
- Discussing and reporting on any research related issues submitted to the Committee through the Head of College, The College Management Team or College Council.
The College Research Committee reports in the first instance to the College Management Team and through the College Management Team to the College Council.
Summary reports of meetings of the College Research Committee are posted on the College intranet.