Guidelines for Fieldwork Research Activities
Contents of page:
- Fieldwork - refers to fieldwork studies not involving human subjects.
- Refer to the Template for Covid-19 Response Plan – Fieldwork (see Research Continuity Further Guidelines and Templates).
- Prior approval must be obtained before researchers can undertake fieldwork activities.
- All Fieldwork CRP Documentation requires approval, including any updates to a previously approved Covid-19 Response Plan (CRP) Documentation for Fieldwork.
- Approval must be obtained by submitting your documentation to the Head of School/RICU, or where delegated the Head of Department/equivalent.
- CRPs are living documents, therefore the Fieldwork Covid-19 Documentation and must be updated accordingly: changes to the CRP and Risk Assessment; changes to the investigational site (or adding a new one); change in research personnel.
- National Covid-19 Level 5 Restrictions:
- In addition to approved CRP Documentation, researchers (PIs) must complete and submit a Justification for Continuation of Essential Research during Level 5 Restrictions 2021 form (accessed at Research Continuity Further Guidelines and Templates), to obtain prior approval.
- Additional approval may be required by the Head of College (see RBCT Research Continuity Approval & Reporting Processes).
- National Covid-19 Level 1-5 (all) Restrictions:
- Where the approving person (Head of School/RICU, or where delegated Head of Department/equivalent) is directly involved in the Fieldwork study, approval is required from the Head of College.
- Domestic Travel - Researchers must be aware of national essential travel to work guidance in place. See template for the Covid-19 Response Plan for Fieldwork for futher details, .
- International Travel - Researchers must be aware of national guidance and current measures in place at https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/. See below for futher details and check the Research Continuity Homepage https://www.ucc.ie/en/research/support/researchbusinesscontinuitysupports/ and below for further guidance.
Guidelines for Covid-19 Response Plan (CRP) Documentation for Fieldwork
Use the Template for Covid-19 Response Plan – Fieldwork (accessed at Research Continuity Links Guidelines & Templates), to draft/update your response plan.
The CRP Documentation for Fieldwork includes the CRP and Risk Assessment.
Covid-19 Response Plan, which details
- A Statement of Assurance from the Head of School/RICU and during national Level 5 Restrictions (where required) a Letter of Assurance from the Head of School/RICU to the Head of College, a template for this Letter of Assurance can be accessed at Research Continuity Links Guidelines & Templates [insert link to page]).
- A Letter of Approval/Authorisation for Travel as/if required.
- A Policy Statement
- The investigational site
- Detail persons of responsibility for the Fieldwork Study
- Detail of researchers undertaking the Research
- Overview of the Study
- Reference to mandatory training (including Covid-19 Induction Training for researchers) and the mandatory Return to Work Form prior to undertaking the research.
- Covid-19 Infection Control Measures
- Relevant SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).
- A Risk Assessment accessed at Research Continuity Links Guidelines & Templates
- Travel considerations if applicable
- Domestic Travel:
- In drafting CRPs, researchers need to be aware of national guidelines for essential travel to work. Also see template for research involving participants accessed at , for domestic travel considerations to apply as appropriate when drafting the CRP.
- Ensure a Travel to Work/Study Letter is available to the researcher undertaking domestic travel for work if/as required.
- International Travel:
- Prior approval by Head of School/RICU AND the Head of College is required.
- In drafting the CRP, researchers must be cognisant of current governmental guidelines for essential international travel at https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/
- Also see Travel Guidelines for Researchers, accessed at
- A Letter of Assurance from Head of School/RICU to the Head of College is required along with the Covid-19 Response Plan and Risk Assessment.
- In drafting the Covid-19 Response Plan, researchers must be aware of the following:
- Local restrictions/guidelines in place at the destination they are travelling to at the time, and over the period of their stay.
- Quarantine, Covid-19 testing and documentation requirements (including the researcher's return to Ireland).
- Measures in place to address situations where a researcher may contract Covid-19 whilst abraod.
- Insurance requirements.
- Domestic Travel: