Research Institutes, Centres and Units (RICUs) — Annual Call (2016)
Over the last 10-15 years, the UCC research community has been very successful in developing interdisciplinary research centres funded from a variety of external sources, and a significant proportion of UCC research activity is now hosted by Research Institutes, Centres and Units (RICUs)
A listing of current UCC RICUs, arranged by affiliated College, is available at: http://www.ucc.ie/en/research/institutes/
The University’s Policy on the Governance of RICUs, and an associated document detailing supporting administrative processes (Procedures for Establishment, Review and Disestablishment of Research Centres and Units), are available on the UCC Research Support Services (RSS) website: http://www.ucc.ie/en/research/policies/. This documentation provides detailed information with regard to:
- Governance of research within RICUs
- Implementation of effective structures and processes by which this research can be most effectively enabled, facilitated and resourced
- Mechanisms for the establishment, review and disestablishment of RICUs
As detailed in the Procedures document, responsibility for reviewing proposals for the establishment of a RICU lies with the University Centres & Institutes Committee (CIC). In addition, the CIC has responsibility for reviewing the on-going progress of RICUs and recommendations regarding their continuation, repositioning or termination, as appropriate.
The CIC now invites applications from the Colleges for the following:
- Establishment of a new RICU
- Changes to the designation status of an existing RICU (S-type/M-type/L-type)
- Disestablishment of an existing RICU
An application form for the establishment of a new RICU, or a change to the designation status of an existing RICU, is available in the RICU section of the UCC RSS ‘Frequently used Forms’ webpage: http://www.ucc.ie/en/research/fuf/
The application form submission process is as follows:
- Following sign-off by their relevant Head(s) of Department/School, applicants should submit the completed form to their relevant Head of College for review and sign-off — an approval/sign-off page for both Head(s) of Department/School and Head of College is included as part of the application form.
- Cognisant of the importance of appropriate alignment of RICUs to College structures and strategy, following their review and sign-off, each College should send a coordinated submission of relevant, approved RICU applications to UCC RSS (at: firstname.lastname@example.org) by 23rd September 2016.
Please contact Dr. David O’Connell, Director, UCC Research Support Services, with any queries.