Petty Cash

Petty Cash

It has come to the attention of the Finance Office that in certain instances petty cash is being used to pay for items that should be processed and paid through the Accounts Payable Office.  Examples of such items are invoices and employee expense claims.  Petty cash is only to be used for small sundry items such as newspapers, tea/coffee, postage, etc.

Petty Cash is not to be used to reimburse staff members or visitors for items that should be reclaimed through the normal employee expense claim mechanism.  Items such as train tickets, meal receipts, accommodation receipts, etc should be attached to the back of an employee expense claim form, authorised by the relevant person and submitted to the Accounts Payable Office for payment.

Petty Cash is not to be used to pay supplier invoices.  A purchase order should be issued to the supplier and once the invoice is received, it should be checked against the purchase order, authorised by the relevant person, coded and sent to the Accounts Payable Office for payment.

Departments should not be using cash received directly in the department to fund their petty cash float.  Such cash should be forwarded to the Cashier in the Fees Office, together with a  Lodgement Form, to be lodged to the University Bank Account.  The float issued by the Finance Office should be sufficient for any department.

The Petty Cash Claim Form should be completed in full, with relevant back-up documentation attached and submitted to the Accounts Payable Office for reimbursement.  Please ensure that a charge code is given on the form.

If you have any queries on petty cash please contact Anne Moriarty on extn 2801.

University College Cork

Coláiste na hOllscoile Corcaigh

College Road, Cork T12 K8AF