Join UCC Peer Support
Applying to be a Peer Support Leader
We are now accepting applications for 2018/19 Peer Support Leaders! Applications can be completed by clicking here
Are you interested in getting involved in Peer Support? Below you will find an outline of the benefits of joining the programme and the responsibilities of a Peer Support Leader.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF JOINING PEER SUPPORT?
- Upon fulfilling your criteria at the end of the year you are awarded a UCC Works Award. For more information on the Award please click here
- You will gain extensive volunteering experience for your CV
- You will gain invaluable training relating to management skills, leadership skills, presentation skills, communication skills, empathy development, etc.
- Monthly Continuing Professional Development sessions provided by a wide variety of university services will be exclusively available to you
- You will become part of a wider community, meeting students from every course in the university
WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF A PEER SUPPORT LEADER?
Assuming a successful application process you will be expected to:
- Attend all 3 required training days, 2 before the end of term and one in August
- Attend a MINIMUM of 2 days of orientation, one leading 1st years from your course, one helping another leader with their group. NOTE: 2 is the minimum requirement, if you are available for more days we are always enthusiastic for extra help
- Send a monthly email to your 1st year group
- Meet with/support/refer any students in your group as necessary
- Attend 4 Reflective Learning Meetings throughout the year
PLEASE NOTE: If for any reason you cannot fulfill some of the listed criteria (e.g you are on J1 this summer so may miss the August training day) you can email the Peer Support Coordinator, Dave Carey, to discuss if alternative arrangements can be made. You can email him on email@example.com with the subject 'Application Query'
WHO CAN APPLY?
Any fulltime UCC student, undergraduate or postgraduate, who will be in 2nd year or above as of the start of the 2018/19 academic year may apply to be a Peer Support Leader. In general we do not take students currently in final year as they will not be here next September, however, if you plan to stay in UCC for a postgraduate you may still apply.
WHAT PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED?
While previous voluntary work may be helpful to you as a PSL, it is not a requirement. We are simply looking for enthusiastic students who are willing to commit to helping their peers. All of the required skillsets will be given to you throughout the training process.
HOW DO I APPLY?
The application process is quite simple, there is an online form to be filled out which will be followed by interviews after the close of applications. The closing date is 5pm Friday, February 9th. If you have any questions relating to the application feel free to email Dave on firstname.lastname@example.org. To fill out an application please click here.
If you require any further information, please contact the Peer Support Coordinator by email: email@example.com or on 021-420 5188.