Personal and Professional Development (Nursing)
Part-Time. See Additional Teaching Mode Information for more info.
€900 See Fees and Costs for full details.
See Detailed Entry Requirements. See Requirements for full details.
17th of June 2019
Runs from 28th Oct- 9th Dec 2019
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Critically explore the concept of lifelong learning and continued professional development.
- Identify and critically analyse core competencies required for personal and professional development in nursing.
- Appraise the importance of life-long learning as applied to own personal and professional development and analyse own needs in the context of a SWOT analysis.
- Evaluate the application of educational theories and critically appraise methods and models in clinical practice.
- Evaluate, analyse and develop own personal learning needs analysis, and demonstrate self ?awareness.
- Critically apply detailed knowledge pertaining to continued professional development and nursing competency in your own practice.
- Demonstrate critical awareness of mentoring and inter-professional teaching in practice.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the contexts of personal and professional development and debate the challenges of support, technical, economic, organisational and professional issues.
- Demonstrate professional, clinical and academic development skills in your personal portfolio.
Module Objective: To develop a critical understanding of the concept of personal and professional development and explore the key knowledge and skills required for continued professional development and academic performance in contemporary health care practice.
Module Content: Theories of Education and evidence of theory underpinning nursing practice, lifelong learning and professional competency, personal and professional development skills, individual learning plan, core nursing competencies, models of education and training, individual professional development plans, development of critical reflective skills, challenges of support, technical, economic, organisational and professional issues. Personal, professional, clinical and academic portfolio.
Additional Teaching Mode Information
Duration: 200hr(s) Other (Online Learning (Discussion Board Preparation and Participation, Required Reading, Assignment Preparation and Submission, Self-Directed Learning).
Assessment: Total Marks 200: Continuous Assessment 200 marks (Portfolio Submission ? 120 marks; Online activities- 80 marks).
Compulsory Elements: Continuous Assessment.
Applicants must be qualified Nurses registered with the regulatory body in their country of residence. Applicants must have a primary degree, Level 8 or equivalent.
Applicants who are under 23 years of age must satisfy the minimum entry requirements as for the Degrees in Nursing or Midwifery, as set out here
Admission to the module(s) will be subject to internal university approval processes on the recommendation of the Head of School.
Applicants for Nursing and Midwifery CPD modules who do not hold an up-to-date IELTS certificate showing the requisite Academic Board approved CM&H scores must demonstrate evidence of appropriate work experience within an English language environment for at least the previous 2 years.
These modules will not necessarily run unless minimum recruitment targets of 10 students are achieved.
Fees and Costs
€900 plus €35 application fee.
How Do I Apply
To apply for this module please download and complete the application form below and submit with the relevant documents to:
Graduate Studies Office, West Wing, Main Quad, University College Cork
OR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Forward this form along with the:
- Application fee,
- A passport sized photograph and
- Any other documentation requested on the form.