News and Views
IMPORTANT: New Academic term update
Following a Government direction this afternoon, UCC, along with all universities in the country, will introduce enhanced public health protection measures from Monday, 28 September 2020.
UCC understands this is a challenging time for our students and staff and we will work together to support our community during this period.
The implications of this latest Government direction for our students and staff are summarised below:
Teaching, Learning, and Assessment (Undergraduate and Postgraduate)
- In accordance with the Government’s directions, lectures shall be delivered online to the maximum extent possible during this period of enhanced protective measures.
- Lab-based, clinical, and practical based tuition may continue on campus in accordance with the existing arrangements already in place on campus.
- Programme Directors and Module Co-ordinators shall communicate these changes in lecture/tutorial arrangements to students via Canvas and/or email. Students should check their student email and Canvas for alerts about lectures/tutorials next week and during this period.
- Any assessments which may be scheduled in the coming week will proceed as planned unless students are notified otherwise by your Programme Director/Module Co-ordinator.
- The library will remain open during this period of enhanced protective measures and existing infection control measures in the Boole Library will continue to apply including 2 metre physical distancing and the mandatory use of face coverings by library users. Please note that occupancy levels in the Boole Library are reduced at present as a result of the physical distancing measures in place.
- Current onsite research activities will continue during this period.
- On campus/in person social and societies activities will be postponed during this period of enhanced protective measures in line with the Government’s guidance.
- Certain sporting activities may be permitted where indicated by the sport’s national governing body.
Staff Working Arrangements
- Staff should continue to work remotely during the period of these enhanced protective measures save where staff attendance on campus is necessary in order to perform your duties. If you have any queries about attendance on campus, please consult with your line manager.
- Staff may attend on campus for the purposes of delivering online lectures if necessary.
- Meetings between staff members should take place by virtual means.
Campus Services & Amenities
- Áras na MacLéinn, the Mardyke Arena and the Glucksman Gallery will remain open subject to existing occupancy levels and infection control measures already in place.
- Most restauraunts/ cafes on campus will remain open, some will operate differently, please check their respective websites.
- Any scheduled on campus events will be postponed, cancelled or will take place online during the period of these enhanced protective measures.
- UCC Campus Accommodation remains open and is not impacted by the latest Government announcement.
UCC is advised by Government that this period of enhanced public health protective measures will be for a two week period to Friday, 9 October 2020.
UCC will communicate with you in advance of this date to keep you informed.
Please continue to adhere to the Health Service Executive’s advice on preventing the spread of Covid-19.
UCC wishes to thank our community for their support and co-operation as we implement the latest public health advice.