A hip-hop performance by a local community group, meeting staff at Roots Cafe, and hearing from students at some of University College Cork's 117 societies were on the agenda for the Taoiseach Micheál Martin TD today as he officially opened The Hub - UCC's new student service centre.Read more
News and Views
06 May 2022
03 May 2022
Tyndall National Institute (Tyndall) today announced the appointment of Dr Denis Doyle as the new Chair of the Board. An incisive and strategically focused leader, Dr Doyle will lead the Board’s oversight of the future development and expansion of Ireland’s flagship research institute in integrated ICT hardware and systems at University College Cork (UCC). Tyndall has made substantial progress with its plan for significant expansion by 2025, to become a research player of international scale with a consequent direct benefit to the Irish economy. The announcement comes as Tyndall celebrates 40 years of ground-breaking research.Read more
29 Apr 2022
The IGNITE programme at UCC held its Awards and Showcase where budding entrepreneurs gathered to showcase their ideas.
The winner of the IGNITE Award for Best Business on the night was Cleidi Hearn of Sunny Numbers while the Award for Best Business Plan was won by Luke Murphy of Training Reels. Monika Wojtek of Buildzon won the award for Best Pitch.Read more
28 Apr 2022
- National Conference to reflect on political, social, cultural, military, and economic dimensions to the Irish Civil War
- An Taoiseach Micheál Martin TD to deliver Conference's opening address
- Four-day summit to bring over 130 national and international scholars to University College Cork
- Proceedings will be open to the public and recorded for viewing in collaboration with RTE.ie.
26 Apr 2022
- Higher education institutes join forces with enterprise partners to co-develop educational programmes focused on sustainability, decarbonisation, circular economy and business leadership.
- Significant €3.9m Sustainable Futures project is led by University College Cork in collaboration with Maynooth University and Atlantic Technological University.
- Industry partners include Microsoft, Carbery Group, Mannok Holdings, Glenveagh Properties, Musgraves, Logitech, PM Group, Glanbia, Kepak, CIE Group, EirGrid, ESB, Davy Horizons and Blue Planet Consulting.
- Sustainable Futures develops solutions for a sustainable, net zero and nature-positive future and aims to empower industry and enterprise to transition to a net zero carbon future
27 Apr 2022
University College Cork (UCC) has been ranked as one of the leading universities in the world for making an impact on creating a sustainable future.
UCC was ranked 62nd in the world in a global ranking of 1,406 universities measured as part of the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings, published tonight.Read more
29 Apr 2022
UCC experts have been recently appointed to expert national groups.
Professor Mary Horgan, President of the Royal College of Physicians Ireland, along with UCC colleagues Dr Anne Moore, Senior Lecturer in Biochemistry and Cell Biology, UCC and Professor of Physical Chemistry, John Wenger, joint founder of the Centre for Research into Atmospheric Chemistry, have all been appointed as leading members of the Government's new Covid-19 Advisory Group, which will replace the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet).Read more
26 Apr 2022
The Governor of New Jersey Phil Murphy, First Lady Tammy Murphy, and a Choose NJ delegation today visited UCC as part of an economic development visit to Ireland.Read more
25 Apr 2022
Olympic medallists Paul O’Donovan and Emily Hegarty are among those to be honoured at the UCC Sport Star Awards tonight by Professor John O’Halloran, President of University College Cork.Read more
UCC’s Professor Barry O’Sullivan announced as a Fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence22 Apr 2022
University College Cork’s Professor Barry O’Sullivan has been elected a Fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) - the first time that someone based at an Irish university has been recognised in this way. Professor O’Sullivan, Chair of Constraint Programming at the School of Computer Science and Information Technology, who is also the founding director of both the Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics at UCC and the SFI Centre for Research Training in Artificial Intelligence, has been recognised for his contributions to the field of constraint programming and his leadership within the AI community.Read more