The NRP programme consists of nine lessons as follows :
Lesson 1: Overview and Principles of Resuscitation
In lesson 1 participants will learn the Changes in physiology that occur when a baby is born
- Sequence of steps to follow during resuscitation
- Risk factors that can help predict which babies will require resuscitation.
- Equipment and personnel needed to resuscitate a newborn
Lesson 2: Initial steps in Resuscitation
In Lesson 2 participants will learn how to
- Decide if a newborn needs to be resuscitated.
- Open the airway, and provide the initial steps of resuscitation.
- Resuscitate a newborn when meconium is present.
- Provide free-flow oxygen when needed.
Lesson 3: Use of a Resuscitation Device for Positive-Pressure Ventilation.
In lesson 3 participants will learn
- When to give positive-pressure ventilation
- The similarities and differences among flow-inflating bags, self-inflating bags, and T-piece resuscitators
- The operation of each device to provide positive-pressure ventilation
- The correct placement of the masks on the newborn’s face
- How to test and troubleshoot devices used to provide positive-pressure ventilation
- How to evaluate the success of positive-pressure ventilation
Lesson 4: Chest Compressions
In Lesson 4 participants will learn
- When to begin chest compressions during resuscitation
- How to administer chest compressions
- How to coordinate chest compressions with positive-pressure ventilation
- When to stop chest compressions
Lesson 5: Endotracheal Intubation
In Lesson 5 participants will learn
- The indications for endotracheal intubation during resuscitation
- How to select and prepare the appropriate equipment for endotracheal intubation
- How to use the laryngoscope to insert an endotracheal tube
- How to determine if the endotracheal tube is in the trachea
- How to use the endotracheal tube to suction meconium from the trachea
- How to use the endotracheal tube to administer positive-pressure ventilation
Lesson 6: Medications
In Lesson 6 participants will learn
- What medications to give during resuscitation
- When to give medications during resuscitation
- Where to give medications during resuscitation
- How to insert an umbilical venous catheter
- How to administer epinephrine
- When and how to administer fluids intravenously to expand blood volume during a resuscitation.
Lesson 7: Special Considerations
In Lesson 7 participants will learn about
- Special situations that may complicate resuscitation and cause ongoing problems
- Subsequent management of the baby who has required resuscitation
- How the principles in this program can be applied to babies who require resuscitation beyond the immediate newborn period or outside the hospital delivery room.
Lesson 8: Resuscitation of Babies Born Preterm
In Lesson 8 participants will learn about
- The risk factors associated with being born preterm
- The additional resources needed to be prepared for a preterm delivery
- Additional strategies to maintain the preterm baby’s body temperature
- Additional considerations for managing oxygen in a premature baby
- How to assist ventilation when a premature baby has difficulty breathing
- Ways to decrease the chances of brain injury
- Special precautions to take after resuscitating a premature baby
Lesson 9: Ethics and Care at the End of Life
In Lesson 9 participants will learn about
- The ethical principles associated with starting and stopping neonatal resuscitation
- How to communicate with parents and to involve them in ethical decision making
- When it may be appropriate to withhold resuscitation
- What to do when the prognosis is uncertain
- How long to continue resuscitation attempts when the baby does not respond
- What to do when a baby dies
- How to help parents through the grieving process
- How to help staff through the grieving process