Applying for a postgraduate position
- Any person wishing to pursue an MSc or PhD degree must first make contact with an individual academic member of staff and following meetings and interviews as required an offer of a post-graduate position may be made by that member of staff.
- Following acceptance of the offer of a position, the prospective postgraduate student then needs to formally apply to the University using either the on-line application system or the International Education Office (see below). This should only be done following consultation with the member of academic staff.
- The policy in the Microbiology Programme is that postgraduate students register for an MSc degree in the first instance. During the second of year of the programme, application may be made for transfer to PhD registration (after 18 months).
Admission Criteria and Procedures (from the College calendar)
- To be eligible for consideration to undertake a programme of study for a Master's Degree by Research, a candidate must have obtained a standard of at least Second Class Honours in an approved primary degree or possess such other qualifications as the Graduate Studies Committee may recommend to Academic Board .
· To be eligible for consideration to enter on a programme of study and research for the Degree of PhD, a candidate must have obtained a standard of at least Second Class Honours, Grade I, in an approved primary degree, or presented such other evidence as will satisfy the College/Faculty of his/her fitness.