Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE)
SURE AWARDS 2020
The College of Medicine and Health invites applications for Summer Undergraduate Research Awards (SURE) from undergraduate students in health-related disciplines in UCC to support their participation in research during summer 2020. The purpose of these awards is to foster an interest in research and to give the student an opportunity to become familiar with research techniques.
WHO should apply?
- Applications are open to undergraduate students registered within the School of Medicine, who are not in the final year of their degree course. Additionally, the application process (for this year only) is open to undergraduate students registered outside of the CoMH, who are not in their final year of their degree course – however, a supervisor must fulfil condition 3 (below).
- Applicants must be studying full-time at UCC. The research must be carried out in a School from the College of Medicine and Health.
- Applicants must conduct the research with one CoMH based supervisor. Additionally, the CoMH based supervisor must have a direct reporting mechanism to a Head of a Department within the School of Medicine
- Each applicant may submit only one application.
- Each supervisor may support only one student’s application.
WHAT is the value of the award?
Awards of up to €2,000 per student are available for a maximum of eight weeks’ research. The award will cover a stipend of up to €1,600 (€200 per week) and an additional consumable budget of €400.
How many awards are available?
- School of Medicine: 3 awards
WHEN is the DEADLINE for applications:
- Applications for the School of Medicine SURE awards 2020 are now closed.
Please note that succesful applicants to the SURE award 2020 will be subject to directives from UCC in relation to Covid-19.
Potential SURE applicants should appraise themselves of the application timeframes and associated approval timeframes for those projects that require CREC approval. Click here for more information https://www.ucc.ie/en/crec/
RPAC advises applicants to contact CREC before advancing their application to appraise themselves of the most up to date situation regarding approval of applications.
*If CREC approval is required no funds will be awarded without the appropriate approvals.*
School of Medicine SURE recipients 2019
|Research Student||Research Supervisor||Research Project|
|Samuel David Keogh||Dr. Elizabeth Brint||The role of interleukin-1 family members in the modulation and expression of programmed cell death-1 programmed cell death ligand-1 in neoplastic cell lines|
|Aoife Jones Thachuthara||Professor Deirdre Murray||Babyscreen Predictive Cohort Study: The investigation of a new screening method for cognitive assessments in early childhood|
|Samantha Leigh Wakerlin||Dr. Justin McCarthy||Generation and Characterisation of Proteolytic Cleavage-Resistant ACE2 Mutant for mammalian cell expression|
|Ruth Mook-Hay Yan||Dr. Colm O'Tuathaigh||Speech dicrimination in older adults: implications for health service utilisation|
|Eimear O'Mahony||Professor Colin Bradley||Challenges facing general practitioners in the wake of the cervical check scandal|
|Natalie Krakoski||Professor Aisling Ryan & Dr. Collette Hand||Characterisation of clinical and genetic features in members of a periodic paralysis family with a novel CACNA1S gene mutation|