Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE)
Please note that open dates for the SURE awards 2019 will be announced once available from the College of Medicine and Health, UCC.
SURE applicants should appraise themselves of the application timeframes and associated approval timeframes for those projects that require CREC approval. CREC have the following notice (date of 7th February 2019) on their website:
CREC has “postpone receipt of all further applications until Friday the 15th of March 2019”. https://www.ucc.ie/en/crec/ .
RPAC advises applicants to contact CREC before advancing their application to appraise themselves of the most up to date situation regarding approval of applications. Application dates for SURE 2019 will be notified through the SURE web site.
The College of Medicine and Health will advise on applications for Summer Undergraduate Research Awards (SURE) from undergraduate students in health-related disciplines in UCC in due course to support their participation in research during summer 2019. The purpose of these awards is to foster an interest in research and to give the student an opportunity to become familiar with research techniques.
WHO should apply?
- Applicants must be undergraduate students who are not in the final year of their degree course.
- Applicants must be studying full-time at UCC.
- Applicants must be studying in a health-related discipline.
- Applicants must be conducting research with at least one UCC School of Medicine supervisor.
- Each applicant may submit only one application.
- Each supervisor may support only one student’s application.
WHAT is the value of the award?
Awards of up to €2,000 per student are available for a maximum of eight weeks’ research.
How many awards are available?
There were 13 awards available in 2018, subject to meeting the required standard and tentatively assigned as below.
- School of Medicine: 3 awards
- School of Nursing and Midwifery: 2 awards
- School of Clinical Therapies: 2 awards
- School of Dentistry: 2 awards
- School of Pharmacy: 2 awards
- School of Public Health: 2 awards
The School of Medicine processes the applications to the SURE award for Undergraduate Medical Students. For students registered in other Schools, please contact your School office for direction on how to apply.
Please note updates are due soon for SURE 2019