Original url at: http://secretary.ucc.ie/statutes/HTML/StatuteH.html
Universities Act, 1997
University College Cork -- National University of Ireland, Cork
We, the Governing Body of University College Cork -- National University of Ireland, Cork ("the University") under and by virtue of the powers conferred on us by the above Act, do by this present instrument under the Seal of the University make the Statute contained in the Schedule hereof for the general government of the said University.
Given under the Common Seal of the University this Third day of February, 2004.
Present when the Common Seal of the University was affixed hereto:
- G.T. Wrixon, President.
- M.F. Kelleher, Secretary.
The Statutes of University College Cork and Statutes A - G of University College Cork - National University of Ireland, Cork, shall be read and construed with the additions, modifications and amendments hereinafter set forth.
- Notwithstanding the provisions of Statute B, Chapter 1, sections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, the membership of Academic Council shall include the following:
(2) Academic Secretary
(3) Director of Quality Promotion Unit
(4) Examination Appeals Officer
(5) Student Advisor and Ombudsman
(6) Student Welfare Officer of the Students' Union
Conduct of Examinations
- Under the direction of the President, the Registrar shall be responsible for the conduct of all examinations and the transmission of the Table of Results of examinations for consideration by the Academic Council. The Academic Council shall determine the results of all examinations of the University taking into account the Table of Results and the recommendations of meetings of Examination Boards.
- The examinations shall be conducted under the following conditions:
(1) There shall be two categories of Examiners, Intern Examiners and Extern Examiners.
(2) The Intern Examiners shall consist of all permanent or full-time academic staff of the rank of Lecturer or above, together with those who are Intern Examiners by virtue of their appointment by the National University of Ireland together with such other special cases as are specifically approved by the Academic Council.
(3) The Academic Council shall nominate Extern Examiners for appointment by the National University of Ireland.
(4) The Senate of the National University of Ireland shall appoint such and so many Extern Examiners to the University as the University shall from time to time recommend, and the functions of those External Examiners shall be determined by the Senate, with the concurrence of the University.
(5) In each subject area, as appropriate, the Academic Council shall designate an Intern Examiners, normally a Head of Department, or Head of School or Course Director, to organise the conduct of the examinations in that subject area.
(6) Examination Boards and their membership shall be determined by the Academic Council.
(7) The President shall be entitled to chair all Examination Board Meetings or may nominate a member of Academic Council to chair any Examination Board.
(8) The Registrar shall be entitled to attend all Examination Board Meetings and the Registrar shall appoint the secretaries of such Boards.
(9) In case there shall be any difference of opinion among the members present at an Examination Board, in relation to the result of any candidate, the result (of each candidate) shall be decided by majority vote. The vote shall be noted on the Table of Results and brought to the attention of the Academic Council by the Registrar in the event of the formal dissent of an examiner being recorded by his/her signature on the Table of Results. The Academic Council may over-rule the recommendations of an Examination Board provided that the opinion of any Extern Examiner present at the Examination Board meeting will not be overruled by the Academic Council except on the recommendation of not less than two thirds of all the members of the Academic Board.
(10) The Marks and Standards for each examination shall be approved by the Academic Council on the recommendation of a Faculty.
- The Academic Council may delegate its functions in relation to examinations to the Academic Board other than in the case of the overruling of an Extern Examiner. The Academic Council may determine by Regulation any other matter related to the conduct of examinations
Examination Appeals Committee
- The Academic Council shall establish a committee to consider appeals in relation to the results of examinations. The committee shall be known as the Examination Appeals Committee. The Chairperson shall be appointed by the President.
- The Examination Appeals Committee shall consider each appeal on the grounds on which it is based. In coming to a decision on an appeal the Examination Appeals Committee may consult with Intern Examiners and Extern Examiners and other persons as appropriate. The committee may decide to amend the marks of an examination or to effect such other remedy as it considers appropriate, including derogation from the Marks and Standards laid down for the examination.
- This Statute may be cited as Statute H of University College Cork - National University of Ireland, Cork or Stat. H. of U.C.C.
- This Statute shall come into operation on the Third day of February, 2004.
Present when the Common Seal of the University was affixed hereto
- G.T. Wrixon, President.
- M.F. Kelleher, Secretary.