Original url at: http://secretary.ucc.ie/statutes/HTML/StatuteF.html
Universities Act, 1997
University College Cork -- National University of Ireland, Cork
We, the Governing Body of University College Cork -- National University of Ireland, Cork ("the University") under and by virtue of the powers conferred on us by the above Act, do by this present instrument under the Seal of the University make the Statute contained in the Schedule hereof for the general government of the said University.
Given under the Common Seal of the University this Thirteenth day of November, 2002.
Present when the Common Seal of the University was affixed hereto:
- G.T. WRIXON, President.
- M.F. KELLEHER, Secretary.
The Statutes of University College Cork and Statutes A - E of University College Cork - National University of Ireland, Cork, shall be read and construed with the additions, modifications and amendments hereinafter set forth.
Nomination and Election of Certain Members to the Senate of the National University of Ireland
- Pursuant to Clause X of the Charter of the National University of Ireland, as amended by section 45 (2) of the University's Act (1997), the membership of the Senate of the National University of Ireland (the "Senate") shall include four persons elected by University College Cork - National University of Ireland, Cork in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter.
- The persons so elected shall hold office for a period not exceeding five years for which they are elected and a member whose term of office expires by effluxion of time shall be eligible to again be elected a member.
- The election shall take place at a meeting of the Governing Body (hereinafter referred to as "the Election Meeting"), the notice for which shall state that the election of members of the Senate is the purpose, or one of the purposes, thereof. Such meeting shall be held not more than four weeks before the date at which the period of office of the persons last elected by the University as members of the Senate shall expire. The President shall appoint the date for the holding of the Election Meeting. Six weeks' notice of the Election Meeting shall be given to each Member of the Governing Body.
- In accordance with Section 45 (2) (ii) of the Universities Act 1997, the election
procedure shall ensure gender balance in the representation of University
College Cork - National University of Ireland, Cork on the Senate; the
representation of the University shall be two men and two women.
- Each nomination of a person whom it is proposed to elect shall be made on a nomination paper signed by two members of the Governing Body and accompanied by the written consent of the candidate to his or her nomination, and shall be submitted to and received by the Secretary of the Governing Body at least four weeks before the day appointed for the Election Meeting. The Nomination Paper shall also indicate whether the person nominated is a man or a woman. Not more than one Nomination Paper will be accepted in respect of any one candidate; in the event of more than one Nomination Paper being received, the first only such paper shall be accepted. A nomination which fails to satisfy any or all of these conditions shall be invalid and null, and the candidate concerned shall be deemed not to have been duly nominated.
- If at the expiration of the period for nominations the number of persons duly nominated shall not exceed four and the gender balance specified in Section 5 has been complied with, the persons so nominated shall be deemed to have been duly elected, and at the Election Meeting they shall be declared by the Chairperson of the Governing Body to have been elected accordingly.
- If more than two men or more than two women have been duly nominated there shall be a ballot at the election meeting in respect of the positions for which more than two nominations have been received. Should a ballot take place:
a. those two male candidates who have obtained the greatest number of valid votes, and/or
b. those two female candidates who have obtained the greatest number of valid votes shall be deemed to be elected.
If the number of men or the number of women duly nominated shall be less
than two, the nominated candidate, if any, shall be deemed to be elected and a
casual vacancy shall exist which shall be filled in accordance with the provisions of
section 10 of this Chapter.
- If there shall be an equality of votes for two or more candidates and the number of candidates (if any) who have obtained a greater number of votes together with the number of candidates having such an equality of votes is greater than the number which the University is entitled to elect, the election, as between the candidates having such an equality of votes, shall be determined by lot drawn by the Chairperson at the Election Meeting; this provision shall apply separately in respect of the male candidates and of the female candidates.
- (1) The Chairperson shall declare the candidate or candidates whose election has been so determined to have been duly elected.
(2) When any person shall have been declared to have been duly elected to be a member of the Senate, the Secretary of the University shall forthwith notify the Registrar of the National University of Ireland accordingly in writing.
(3) In the event of the University failing to elect within the prescribed time the full number of persons which it is entitled to elect, the vacancies which shall not be filled shall be deemed to be casual vacancies.
- (1) Whenever a casual vacancy shall occur among the members of the Senate
elected by the University, the Secretary of the University shall give notice in
writing thereof to the Registrar of the National University of Ireland. The
election of a person to fill the vacancy shall take place at a meeting of the
Governing Body held not more than four months after such notice has been
(2) A person elected to fill a casual vacancy shall hold office for the remainder of
the term of office of the member whose ceasing to hold office occasioned the
(3) The filling of any casual vacancy arising in respect of a person elected
pursuant to this Statute shall not alter the gender balance of the four elected
members, as set forth in section 4 hereof.
- This Statute may be cited as Statute F of University College Cork - National University of Ireland, Cork or Stat. F. of U.C.C.
- This Statute shall come into operation on the Thirteenth day of November, 2002.
Present when the Common Seal of the University was affixed hereto
- G.T. WRIXON, President.
- M.F. KELLEHER, Secretary.