Routes to UCC
You can apply for entry to most of our Undergraduate programmes via three routes:
- As a Mature Student - If you are over 23 years of age on 01 January of the year of entry.
- As a QQI/FE Graduate - Based on your results from completing a QQI Level 5 or 6 course in a College of Further Education (or equivalent). This is explained in more detail, below.
- Based on Leaving Certificate results. You can check out last year's points in our Online Prospectus here.
QQI Level 5 & 6 courses, in Colleges of Further Education, are a great way for a mature student (who has been out of education for a while) to gain critical skills for a successful Undergraduate journey. They also open up the possibility of more available places,as there are places set aside on each course for both Mature and QQI/FE Students. You can be both!
There are many benefits to pursuing a QQI/FE course, too many to list here. We discuss this in more detail in the section on How to Become UCC Ready.
There are a couple of important factors you must look out for when deciding the right QQI/FE course for you.
- Is the UCC Undergraduate Degree linked to the QQI/FE course that I wish to pursue? Not all of our degree programmes are linked through this route.
- Is there a College of Further Education close to me that delivers the course that I need for entry to UCC?
- Does the course include the specific modules/subjects that I am required to get Distinctions in to apply to UCC under this route?
There are complexities involved in understanding all of this. There is further information available by clicking here.
You can also book a virtual appointment with the Recruitment Officer here.
QQI/FE Pre-entry Courses
Before deciding to take on a degree it can be extremely beneficial to undertake a Further Education and Training (FET) programme. There are excellent courses available under the QQI/FE scheme and these can be found across the country. Below are links to some of the colleges providing these courses and where a number of our current and past students started out.
http://www.stjohnscollege.ie/ - St. John’s College
http://csn.ie/ - Coláiste Stiofán Naofa
http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/ - Cork College of Commerce
Details of all courses that can be studied across the country can be found on the Qualifax website - www.qualifax.ie
For more information about QQI-FET links and UCC see https://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/fetac/