- »Info for Prospective Teachers of Mathematics
- »Schools Outreach
- »Scholarships & Awards
- News & Events
- Seminars / Talks
- About The School
- School Committees
- IT Help
- Mode of Teaching Delivery and Timetables
News & Events
Best Graphic To Share and Connect With Statistics : WSD 2020
The School of Mathematical Sciences
“Best Graphic to Share and Connect with Statistics”
to celebrate World Statistics Day
October 20, 2020.
School of Mathematical Sciences World Statistics Day 2020 Committee
Chair: Kathleen O’Sullivan
Members: Supratik Roy, Amir Jalali, Maria Teider
There will be three prizes as well as prizes for undergraduate student and postgraduate student entries.
We are inviting all university staff and students to submit a non-interactive graphic that is accessible and of interest to the general public in Ireland.
Participants are urged to reflect on the use of graphics that convey statistical insights into challenges before Irish society.
Staff and registered students at UCC can enter the competition. Participants are allowed to submit once.
The competition has three categories: General Category (all entries), Category for Undergraduate Students, and Category for Postgraduate Students. Your submitted graphic can only win a prize in a single category.
Students must explicitly specify if they wish to be considered for one of the students' categories.
The decision of the judges will be final in all aspects and no correspondence will be entered into.
Participants are responsible for ensuring that they adhere to any Creative Commons License for their submitted graphic including usage guidelines, terms and conditions.
We do not take responsibility for graphics that are not legal. Participants must adhere to the acceptable usage policy of UCC.
We are excluding the Staff of the School of Mathematical Sciences.
Complete the online form that gathers the following information:
- Contact details
- Title of the graphic (max 75 characters including spaces)
- A one-sentence caption of the graphic (max 150 characters including spaces)
- The message (max 700 characters including spaces)
- Rationale for choice (max 700 characters including spaces)
- Source/reference for the graphic
- Upload the graphic or provide a link (no links that require subscription, membership or registration to access the intended graphic)
Acceptable graphic file formats include png, jpeg, tiff, pdf
Upload limit: maximum of 10 MB
Submission deadline: November 03, 2020
Decision deadline: November 20, 2020
Entries will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Statistical appropriateness of graphic
- Connectedness to Statistics
- Stand-alone readability
- Visual appeal
- Fit to message
- Effectiveness to communicate
- Accessibility to a wide audience
- Brevity of descriptions
- Innovativeness of title
- Originality and creativity of caption