Research Project and Activities
European Business and Law Network
Our Centre engages in many research projects and activities. For example, The JCOERE Project, led by Professor Lynch Fannon, is an EU-Commission funded research project based in the School of Law. The project runs from October 2018 to December 2020. The project focusses on cross-border insolency law in the European Union, specifically considering co-operation obligations under the EIR Recast Regulation 2015, and the introduction of a preventive restructuring process under Preventive Restructuring Directive 2019/1023.
Here is a full list of our recent projects and activities:
1. EU Consumer Law Database – 2018-2022. Dr Fidelma White was invited to join EU-wide Network of national experts responsible for the updating and development of the EU Consumer Law Database, part of the Commission’s e-Justice portal (funded by DG Justice and Consumers). The Consumer Law Database covers 9 key consumer and marketing law Directives.
2. EU Study for the preparation of an Implementation Report of the General Product Safety Directive - 2019. Fidelma White was invited to act a national expert conducting empirical research and reporting, inter alia, on the transposition of Article 5 regarding traceability in national law.
3. Evaluation of the EU Consumer Programmes 2007-2013 and 2014-2020.Dr Fidelma White was invited to act as the Irish national reporter by Civic Consulting, Berlin, for a DG JUST study to evaluate the EU Commission Consumer Programmes 2007-2013 and 2014-2020 (2017).
4. Business-to-business transactions: a comparative analysis of legal measures vs. soft-law instruments for improving payment behaviour. Dr Fidelma White was invited to act as a national legal expert as part of a consortium organised by Milieu Ltd, Brussels, and funded the European Commission’s DG GROW (2016-17).
5. Study on how an EU lifespan guarantee model could be implemented across the European for the JURI Committee of the European Parliament. In 2016, Dr. Fidelma White was invited to act as national legal expert to explore interrelation between the Consumer Sales and Guarantee Directive and the Ecodesign Directive and how the legal guarantee of products could be coordinated with the notion of products’ expected lifetime, with institut für finanzdienstleistungen (iff), Hamburg, for the JURI Committee of the European Parliament. For more information on the study, please click here.
6. EU Study of impact of national procedural laws and practices on free circulation of judgments and on the equivalence and effectives of procedural protection of consumers under EU law. Dr Fidelma White was invited to act as the Irish national legal expert in this - DG JUST funded study (2016).
7. Consultant to Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. Dr Fidelma White was engaged to provide observations and further feedback on draft Guidelines for Mobile Phone Traders on Mobile Phone Sales (2016).