Creating assessments in Canvas
Canvas has already seen impressive usage in UCC for assessments, with more than 9,000 assessments and over 5 million page views of these assessment areas so far this academic year (2019/2020).
There are three primary options available staff to create assessment items on Canvas:
- Submission of assignments through Canvas with further processing via TurnitIn;
- Submission of assignments directly through Canvas; and
- Canvas quizzes featuring Multiple Choice Style questions.
All of these can be time-set so the student sees the exam question at a particular time and has to submit within a certain timeframe. It is important to ensure you are familiar with Canvas in advance of the examinations dates:
- Ensure you can access all of your modules on Canvas as a Teacher.
- Ensure your students can access of their modules on Canvas as a Student.
- If you haven’t already done so, take the Online Teaching with Canvas course.
- Use the 24/7 Canvas Help system accessible through the Help option on your Canvas dashboard. This offers real time just-in-time training that will talk you through anything around which you need help.
- The Cente for Digital Education will be running online webinars focussing on assessment over the coming weeks. Keep an eye on All Staff emails for information on these.
Ask for help if you need it. For more information and suggestions, book a consultation with someone from the Centre for Digital Education.
UCC Guide to Canvas Assignment and Quizzes Duration Settings
This is a quick guide to how you create duration settings for Canvas Assignments and Quizzes. The scenario is how you would set up an online assignment or quiz starting at 09:00 on April 24 and scheduled to finish at 10:30 on April 24. The image below shows the relevant section for the Assignment/Quiz settings on Canvas.
This is a quick guide to how you create duration settings for Canvas Assignments and Quizzes. The scenario is how you would set up an online assignment or quiz starting at 09:00 on April 24 and scheduled to finish at 10:30 on April 24. Figure 1 below shows the relevant section for the Assignment/Quiz settings on Canvas.
Setting 1 – Due
This is the time you wish the final item to be completed. In this case, we add 20 minutes to the scheduled 10:30 finish time. We set it to 10:50.
Setting 2 – Available from
This is when we want the question to appear for the students. In this case, it’s 09:00.
Setting 3 – Until
This is when we want to stop allowing students to submit. In this case, we have added 24 hours to the scheduled finish time. Module Co-Ordinators should agree a suitable timeframe for their students, but be aware that students may have other exams scheduled. Students will be able to make submissions up until 10:50 on April 25.
Each submission will be marked with the time it was completed or a file was uploaded. In the case of DSS students, the agreed additional allowance is 10 minutes per hour. So in this case, a registered DSS student would be allowed to submit up until 11:05 on April 24. The Module Co-Ordinator will then need to check the list of registered DSS students for their module from DMIS and check if their submission was on time.
Setting 4 – Add
This setting will not be used in this scenario as we are allowing late submissions.
Download a printable version of the UCC Guide to Canvas Assignment and Quizzes Duration Settings
Final Check of Canvas Settings for Online Exams
If you have set an assignment or a quiz in Canvas as an exam, it is important that you double-check some key settings to make sure your exam functions the way you need it to work. We have created a Canvas Checklist for Online Exams to help you do this.