Classroom Training (Staff & Postgraduate)
Explore This Page
* NEW * Online alternatives to Classroom Training during Covid-19
As our classroom training sessions have been temporarily suspended during the closure of the university, we have compiled this list of resources for online learning alternatives:
- Standard Office Applications
- ICDL - This online training course (formerly ECDL) is freely available to all staff and students via Canvas. The training covers the standard Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and covers much of the same content we cover in our Word 1, Excel 1, and Powerpoint courses as well as some content from Word 2 and Excel 2.
- Self-Train Resources - These resources, compiled from Microsoft's Training resources and our own manuals, are designed to help you train yourself and cover Excel Pivot Tables as well as providing an alternative method for learning about Outlook, Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
- Office365 Applications
- Office365 Fundamentals - While you are working remotely you may find Office365 extremely beneficial for productivity and collaboration with your colleagues. Our online Fundamentals course covers the basics of accessing Office365, understanding and uploading to cloud storage, sharing files and collaborating with colleagues online.
- Teams - This application is an excellent way to stay in touch with colleagues while working remotely. It enables you to chat individually or in groups, schedule and hold video calls and meetings with groups of up to 250 people, share files from your OneDrive, post announcements to your Team and generally keep up to date in real time. You can find a Teams Cheat Sheet here to get you started, and we also recommend you join Teams@UCC to post any queries or issues you are having. Additionally in Teams@UCC you will find numerous help guides from Microsoft.
- Forms - Microsoft's Forms Training Playlist will take you through how to create and share a form in Office365
Linkedin Learning Training Courses - Teaching Online with Office365, Canvas, and moreThese courses are free to access on Linkedin. Ignore the 'free trial' button - these courses do not require a free trial or payment. Simply navigate through the lessons using the sidebar on the right. These courses cover a wide range of topics:
- Learning to Teach Online
- Teaching with Technology
- Teaching Technical Skills Through Video
- Teaching Online: Synchronous Classes
- Office 365 for Educators
- Microsoft Teams for Education
- Google Hangouts Essential Training
- Teaching Techniques: Creating Multimedia Learning
- Learning Canvas
- Learning OneNote Online (Office 365)
Types of Training
Standard Classroom Training:
Staff and Postgraduate students wishing to avail of computer training can choose courses from our timetable and then book with the IT Training Centre. We can be contacted by phone on extensions 3749 or 1839 or by email at email@example.com The Training Centre runs the training courses in Training Room 2 located on the 4th floor of the Kane Building (Science Building). These courses, depending on the subject being covered, can run for a half-day (09.30-13:00) or shorter 2 hour courses and can take a maximum of 10-13 participants. This Classroom training is available to Staff and Post-Grads.
Tailored courses for groups:
The IT Training Centre can also arrange group sessions in any of our courses for individual departments, upon request. For more information on this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Minimum number of participants necessary for tailored group sessions.
*New Course* - Image Editing With Pixlr
We are currently developing a new introductory image editing course using Pixlr, a freely available online image editing tool. The course will be available in the coming months.
We are currently seeking expressions of interest in this course, and feedback on preferred course delivery methods and content will help us develop a course that best meets user needs.
This course may suit you if you wish to:
- Learn more about taking good photos and editing your own photos
- Learn about where to find good images and what makes a good image
- Learn how to edit images for use on the UCC website CMS.
Duration: 2 hours approx.
Expression of Interest: Please fill out this form to register your interest in this upcoming course and to inform us of your delivery and content preferences.
*New Course* Microsoft Forms
With the Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Forms app, you can create surveys, quizzes, and polls, invite others to respond to it using almost any web browser or mobile device, see real-time results as they're submitted, use built-in analytics to evaluate responses, and export results to Excel for additional analysis or grading.
- Creating a simple Form
- Different question types
- Settings for questions
- Using branching in a Form
- Changing Form Themes
- Response and Notificaton Options
- Viewing and Analysing Responses
Duration: 1.5 hours approx.
Microsoft Office 2016 Courses
All courses listed here are given using Microsoft Office 2016. Click course name to view course outline and up coming training dates.
Half-day Courses 09:30 - 13:00
Short Courses 1 to 2 hours duration
CMS (UCC websites)
TerminalFour Content Management System - used for creating and maintaining UCC style websites. The course runs from 09:30 - 13:00. See links below for detailed course discriptions. Scheduled dates are listed in our timetable.