Explore This Page
What is ICDL?
The International Computer Driving Licence, or ICDL, is the new branding for what was formerly known as ECDL. It establishes standards for everyone using a computer in either a professional or personal capacity. It provides documentation to show that the holder can use a computer in practice and has some basic IT knowledge.
Started in Finland, ICDL is now recognised in 17 European Countries, as well as Canada and Australia. It is governed worldwide by the ICDL Foundation, which is based in Ireland. See the website at www.icdl.ie.
Completing ICDL in UCC
Note: There is currently no ICDL Testing due the University Closure - Coronavirus (COVID-19). ICS Skills are investigating options for virtual testing but it is not currently available
Training materials can still be accessed via Canvas and we will put an annoucement on Canvas when testing is back up and running
We are delighted to announce we are piloting a new on-line payment system for ICDL.
Cash payments will no longer be accepted. Initially the Skills Card is to be purchased in advance of testing and the Test Units can be purchased on-line on the day of training.
We also plan on introducing an on-line test booking system this semester and information on this will be available soon.
UCC staff and students wishing to complete ICDL in our Test Centre need to carry out the following steps.
- Online Training: Access the free on-line training via Canvas.
(the password required for on-line purchases of Skills Card and Units is also available here).
- Purchase an ICDL Skills Card: Go to UCC Shop and select ICDL from the On-line Bookings menu to purchase the skills card on-line using the password from Canvas.
- ICDL Registration for Testing: Forward email receipt for purchase of Skills card to email@example.com and we will reply with the link to complete exam registration.
- Complete ICDL Exams:
On the day of testing
- Arrive 10 minutes before start time of exam
- Purchase test unit on arrival (ensure you bring bank card).
- Bring UCC staff/student ID card.
Candidates can either attain ICDL Essentials Certificate (pass a min of 4 modules) or ICDL Award (pass a min of 7 modules). Candidates will receive an ICDL profile once they have registered and passed one ICDL module.
Click any of the below module names to download a pdf outlining that module's syllabus.
ICDL Essentials Cert
- the above 4 from ICDL Essentials
- + any 3 of the following: