AIP - To safely share your document by email
How to share your document by email with Non-UCC companies
- Right click your document and select Classify and protect.
The below “Classify and protect - Azure Information Protection”screen opens:
- Select Protect with custom permissions, which displays additional options.
For Select permissions, keep the default of Viewer – View Only.
For Select users, type one or more business email addresses. To specify more than one address, you use a semicolon or press Enter.
With this setting, your recipients will be able to view the document but not edit or print it.
(Make sure that you specify a business email address like, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org because currently, RMS/Azure Information Protection doesn’t support personal email addresses. )
After specifying the addresses, copy them to the clipboard because we'll use them in a later step.
- Click Apply and wait for the Work finished message to see the results. Then click Close.
- Back in File Explorer, right-click your file again, and this time, select Send to> Mail recipient. This attaches your document to an email message with some default text that we will change later on.
- Before we change the default text, paste the email addresses that you specified earlier into the To
- Optional. Type your choice of subject in the Subject box, for example: I am sharing a protected UCC document.
- Modify the default message description so that it's suitable for your recipients. However, add the following text:
I've protected this file with Microsoft Azure Information Protection. For first time use, see these instructions: https://aka.ms/rms-signup.
Now you’ve sent your protected document, you’re ready to ask your recipients to wait for it to arrive and then open it.