Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the data protection arrangements for UCC?
- How secure is O365?
- Will all mailboxes go to the cloud?
Prior to moving to Office 365 the data protection implications were reviewed by UCC’s IT Services and Office of Corporate & Legal Affairs (OCLA). UCC is the data controller under its contractual arrangements with Microsoft and therefore UCC (from a data protection perspective) remains in control of all staff data while it is in possession of Microsoft. The European Commission data processor model contractual clauses are contained in the UCC contract with Microsoft. This is the recommended alternative legal basis to Safe Harbor certification that covers transfers that may occur outside the EU. If you have any data protection queries, please contact the Information Compliance Officer at email@example.com.
Microsoft Office 365 is regularly independently audited and certified against several Information Security and Data Protection standards including ISO27001, FISMA and Fedramp. Prior to moving to Office 365 the data protection implications were reviewed between IT Services and OCLA. The required data processer and EU model contractual clauses were signed to protect our data regardless of the invalidity of Safe Harbour certification. If you would like further information on Microsoft’s Office 365 privacy features or security and compliance features, please refer to:
UCC IT Services are implementing a hybrid deployment of its email service using Microsoft Office 365, allowing for mailboxes on servers located in UCC and/or in Microsoft’s data centres but presented as a single service. This provides optimal flexibility for UCC’s needs. Unfortunately, however there are some minor limitations related to this approach primarily relating to accessing shared resources and these are as follows;
- For continued seamless use, shared resources such as shared mailboxes, calendars…etc. and the mailboxes of those users accessing them must reside in one location be that in UCC or Microsoft datacentre servers. Use (e.g. Send as/Send on Behalf of) and access restrictions apply if the resources are otherwise located.
- UCC datacentre located mailboxes will continue to be restricted to current usage quotas.
If you require more information on this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- How do I get an email account?
- What is the size limit?
- What operating systems are supported for the Outlook Client?
- What versions of Outlook Client are supported?
- What browsers are supported for the web client for email?
- How do I change my password?
- Can I unsubscribe from All Exchange Users?
- How do I send to the All Staff Distribution List?
- Quarantine - What is Quarantine?
- Quarantine - How long are messages kept in the quarantine?
- Quarantine - Can I release or report more than one quarantined message at a time?
- Quarantine - Can I check what’s in the Quarantine or do I have to wait for the email?
- Quarantine - Do all Quarantined messages appear in the email?
- Quarantine - Will I receive a response from reporting email as not Junk?
- Quarantine - If I have a SPAM rule will it continue to work?
Contact the Helpdesk at extension 2120
The helpdesk will require:
- the users name,
- staff number
- and contact details
If the user does not have a staff number, or if the users staff number has not yet been processed, then the head of department or school manager should request an account for the user through our Online Service Desk http://servicedesk.ucc.ie under 3. Email & Account requests. After the email account has been set up the user will be contacted by IT Services with their email details.
The size limit is a 50 GB of mailbox space. there is an additional 100 GB archive available by request. We only recommend implementing this when you are low on space in your mail mailox.
PC: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1
Mac: Mac OS X 10.10
For the best experience, use the latest version of any operating system.
Office 365 works with any version of Office in mainstream support: the latest version of Office for PC and MAC, Office 2016 for PC, and Office 2016 for Mac. Previous versions of Office clients, such as Office 2010 and Office 2007, may work with Office 365 with reduced functionality.
The current or immediately previous version of Internet Explorer; the current version of Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.
If you need any more information please contact the Staff IT Helpdesk.
Yes. If you wish to stop getting emails from All Exchange Users, please contact the staff IT Helpdesk and ask to be removed. Please note, if you are removed from All Exchnge Users, you will not be able to send to the list.
The All Staff distribution list is a restricted list maintained solely for University business. To get access to send to this list, please contact Valerie Hill in the Office of Corporate and Legal Affairs.
Rather than prepending **SPAM ?** to the subject of emails being detected as SPAM, they will now be held in Quarantine until they are released by you. Each day, a digest email will be sent to your mailbox showing the emails that have been quarantined since the last email was sent. You can release those incorrectly quarantined and ignore the rest. These will be automatically deleted after 15 days.
By default, spam-quarantined messages are kept in the quarantine for 15 days, while quarantined messages that matched a transport rule are kept in the quarantine for 7 days. After this period of time the messages are deleted and are not retrievable.
The ability to release or report multiple messages at once is not currently available from within the email messge. You can however do this by navigating to the web interface https://admin.protection.outlook.com/quarantine and logging in.
You can check the end user spam quarantine at any stage by navigating to https://admin.protection.outlook.com/quarantine and logging in.
Each email shows email that has been quarantined since the previous email. It does not contain a list of all email in your Quarantine.
No. The message will be analysed and the results feed back into the detection process. There will be no communication with you for reporting the email.
If you have a rule to perform some action on messages tagged with “***SPAM?**” this will no longer work. This is because messages will no longer be tagged as SPAM but instead sent directly to quarantine. If you have a message based on some other attribute, then this will continue to work.
Office Pro Plus FAQ
- How can I access MS Office Pro Plus as a UCC Staff Member?
- What is included with Office 365 ProPlus subscription licence?
- Who can access this service?
- What happens if I leave UCC?
- How many machines/devices can I run this subscription on?
- Is this the full version of Office and available for offline use?
- How is this different from Office 2013 Professional Plus?
- What applications come with Office 365 ProPlus for PC?
- What applications come with Office 365 ProPlus for Mac?
- What applications come with Office 365 ProPlus for iPhone?
- What applications come with Office 365 ProPlus for Android?
- What are the minimum system requirements?
- I'm still having trouble?
- Go to http://www.ucc.ie/o365
- Logon using your @ucc.ie email address and password
- Click on Office 365 in the top left hand corner to be taken to your download section
- Start downloading your office applications!
- Office 365 ProPlus for PC
- Office 365 ProPlus for Mac
- Office Mobile for iPhone
- Office Mobile for Android
Any core UCC Staff member or retired member with an @ucc.ie email account.
Your MS Office subscription is valid while you are employed by UCC. You may enroll into other consumer or commercial offers available. You should make sure to transfer all your personal files from your University OneDrive to your personal OneDrive prior to graduation. At expiration, the Office applications enter a reduced-functionality mode, which means documents can be viewed but it isn't possible to edit or create new documents. In addition, online services associated with the @ucc.ie email address, for example Office Online and OneDrive, will no longer work.
Each subscription licence allows you to run Office on up to five machines being Mac or PC. You can also run Office Mobile for Android or Office Mobile for iPhone on up to 5 mobile devices.
Yes, this is the full Office on the PC, Mac, iPhone and Android platform and all are available for offline use.
The Office 2013 applications are exactly the same however there are some differences including patching, licence sign in for usage and Click-to-run (C2R) technology for rapid installs (2 minutes for quick usage).
Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Access, Publisher, Outlook, Lync, InfoPath
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, Powerpoint Mobile.
Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, Powerpoint Mobile.
To install MS Office your system must meet the minimum requirements, click here for information.
You can find troubleshooting information here. If you need further support please call our IT Helpdesk on ext 2120 or email us at email@example.com
One Drive FAQ
The size limit is a huge 5TB of space.
One Drive for Business allows you to sync up to 20,000 files.
Please see the how-to guide here.
Skype for Business FAQ
1. Can I use Skype and Skype for Business on the same computer?
2. What is the difference between Skype and Skype for Business?
3. Can I ring telephones from Skype for Business?
4. Is there a mobile app for Skyoe for Business?
5. Can I call Skype users or only Skype for Business users?
6. How do I add a contact outside my organisation?
Yes. Both versions of Skype will work side by side but Skype for Business has some added features that are not available in the standard version.
Skype for Business ahs all the features of Skype plus extra. More details are available here: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34551/what-s-the-difference-between-skype-and-skype-for-business
Currently there is no integration between our Skype for Business implementation and the telephony system so calls cannot be made to telephone numbers.
Yes, there apps available in the iOS (Apple), Android (Google) and Windows (Microsoft) stores. You may need to search for Lync the previous name for this product.
Yes. You can add them through the add contacts section and choose add someone that is not in my organisation.
In the Skype for Business main window, select Add a contact > Add a Contact Not in my Organization > Skype for Business
Fill in the IM address (normally the same as their email)
(Optional) Choose a group and privacy relationship for this contact.
University Applications FAQ
- Core ESS - Human Resources Employee Self-Service Application
- Aggresso - Online Financial Management System
- Service Desk - IT Services call logging system
As more applications are tested, they will be made available here.
If you are the services owner of a University application that is available through a web interface, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements and look at the feasibility of presenting your application through Office 365.