OMR MCQ Scanning
MCQ Scanning Explore This Page
Summary: UCC Information Technology Services provides an OMR (Optical Mark Reader) service for correcting multiple choice (ABCDE) and true/false exams. The answer forms for these exams are available from IT Services.
Primary users of this service: Staff
Who to contact to use this service: E: firstname.lastname@example.org | IT Services |
Contact to discuss this service: Robert O'Neill or Patrick Delahunty | E: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org | T: 021 4902084 |
Strategic Focus: Teaching & Learning
What do I need to bring?
- In order to speed up the scanning process, please ensure that the MCQ answersheets have been separated from any other exam material.
- You will need a Mastersheet which is the answer key that the machine will read before the exam can be scanned. For the machine to recognise this sheet as the Mastersheet you will need to mark the student number as 000000000
- Somebody from the department, either academic or admistrative, must be present for the exam correction. This person is required for making any decisions on individual scripts which may arise.
- It is not possible to get the exams office to deliver the scripts to the IT Services department. We do not store exam papers. All exams will need to be brought to IT Services for correcting and removed again after.
How do I order forms?
Forms must be ordered through Agresso.
For information on creating a requisition in Agresso for MCQ sheets, please click Requisitioning MCQs.
Please include the following information in your order:
- Type of form - ABCDE or TFD
- Quantity required
- Name and address of where forms are to be delivered.
In which format are results produced?
The exam results are produced in a sort order report which outlines each candidate's result in terms of overall score, amount of questions answered and the overall percentage they received. This can be provided in either .csv or xlxs format.
It is also possible to produce an Item Analysis report to indiciate how each question performed, along with an Item Distribution report to outline each student's answers. These are available on request and are in .pdf format.
For help interpretating an Item Analysis report please click Item Analysis
For information on the return of Marks Procedure relating to MCQ exams, please follow this link to the Procedures and Regulations on the Exams and Records Office website.
The OMR MCQ scanning is carried out in Room 3.03 on the third floor of the Kane Building.
When you step out of the lift on the third floor, turn right and then go through the double doors on the left. Walk through two more sets of double doors and then take another right. The room is accessed through the third door on this L-shaped corridor. Please note appointments must be arranged. We are unable to facilitate walk-in appointments.
The OMR Scanning room is marked by red star towards the centre of map.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an Optical Mark Reader (OMR)?
- What type of Forms are available?
- Is there a cost for the forms?
- Where do I get forms for my exams?
- Where do the forms get corrected?
- What do I need to book an exam?
- Do I need to be present? For exam corrections?
- Can I get the exams office to deliver the scripts to IT Services?
- Where is the machine located?
- Where do I collect the sheets?
- Can I get a copy of the reports in Microsoft Excel format?
- Are there instructions for students of invigilators?
- Can I upload the outputted marks directly to DMIS?
- I received an item analysis report after corection. Is there a document to explain ths?
An Optical Mark Reader (OMR) is a machine for reading "tick-box" information from printed forms into a computer without using a keyboard. The forms on which data is collected can be used almost anywhere, in the office, classroom or hospital ward. Anyone can complete an OMR form and no special training is needed
IT Services currently corrects two types of forms:
- ABCDE - 120 Questions where one answer from A, B, C, D or E can be chosen.
- TFD - 250 (50 by 5) Questions where true, false of don't know can be chosen.
Yes. Forms are available in packs of 100 for a fee of €40.
Forms should be ordered through Agresso. Information on how to raise a requistion can be found here:
All OMR processing will take place in Room 3.03 on the Third Floor of the Kane Building.
To book an exam you need to email email@example.com.
Please include the following information in your correspondance:
- The name of the person who will be correcting the exam
- The department
- The date that you will have the exams scripts
- Any times that you will be available
- The number of exams (if correcting multiple modules)
- The number of candidates per exam
Somebody from the department, either academic or administrative, must be present for the exam correction. This person is needed for making any decisions on individual scripts which may arise.
No. The IT Services does not store exam papers. All exams will need to be brought to the Computer Centre correcting and then removed after.
The machine is located on the third floor of the Kane (science) building on the main UCC campus. Its location is shown here.
If ordering 5 or less packs (500 sheets) the requisition can be sent out through internal mail. Alternatively, the sheets will be available for collection at the IT Services Helpdesk on the third floor of the Kane Building.
The reports will be available in .csv format and .xlxs which can both be opened with Microsoft Excel.
Yes. Instructions for the correct method of filling out the forms are available from here: MCQ Instructions
Yes. The full details on how to do this are available from here: omr2dmis
Yes. A full explanation of this report is available from here: Item Analysis
Accessing MCQ Reports
Once the MCQ exam papers have been processed at the Optical Mark Reader(OMR) unit, MCQ Results Reports are stored in a folder, bearing name of the MCQ Administrator, on the Optical Mark Reader SharePoint Site.
The first time the MCQ Administrator visits the OMR unit for MCQ marking, the OMR Operator will create a folder specifically for the MCQ Administrator on the Optical Mark Reader SharePoint site. This folder will bear the name of the MCQ Administrator, e.g. JOE BLOGS.
Each time the MCQ exam papers are processed, the OMR Operator will upload the MCQ Results Reports to the MCQ Administrators folder. The OMR Operator gives permission to the MCQ Administrator to access this folder by sharing the folder with the MCQ Administrator on SharePoint via email. The email that MCQ Administrator receives from the OMR Operator will look like the image below.
Click on the Open link, to access the folder on the Optical Mark Reader SharePoint SharePoint Site.