About the PMO
Explore this page
About the Project Management Office
The IT Services PMO is co-ordinating unit that provides a focal point for project management within IT Services. A key function of this office is to develop and implement a practical approach to project management for IT Services given the financial and resourcing constraints within the department.
What we can do to help
The IT Services PMO aims to provide
- A practical project management methodology for IT Projects
- A repeatable project management process for projects
- Improve project success within IT Services
- Support to UCC departments on how to request/start a project with IT Services
- Complete functional unit readiness assessments with requesting departments
- Provides project management advice and support to PMs, Sponsor, Business Change Lead, IT Services Management team, ITSC.
- Supports the selection and prioritisation of projects
- Report on the project pipeline and project register
- Strategic project support to the IT Services Directorate
- Project Toolkit with PM document templates and a PM lexicon
What we don't do
- Directly manage IT Service projects – individual PM’s manage the projects.
- Support projects or programs outside the scope of IT Services e.g. B&E, Academy etc.
The ISPMO reports directly to the IT Services Directorate, Dr. Gerard Culley.
The overall governance and reporting structure for the ISPMO is outlined here:
ISPMO Reports and Meetings
The IT Services PMO maintains the following reports:
- IT Services Project Register
- IT Services Project Pipeline of Projects
- IT Services PMO Risk Register
- PMO Updates to IT Steering
The IT Services PMO has several regular meetings within its governance framework.
The ISPMO has integrated its processes within IT Services with:
- Technical Architecture Board
- External Hosting
- IT Security
The ISPMO is working closely with the following departments to formally integrate the relevant overlapping processes in each area:
- Finance - Procurement
- OCLA - Data Protection and GDPR
- OCLA - Records Management
Wider PMO community involvement
The ISPMO works to actively expand its knowledge and build relationships with the wider PMO community:
UCC Community of Project Managers
- Regular attendee of CoPM meetings
- Presents to CoPM on an annual basis: 2018 Project Toolkit, 2019 Project Governance
UCC Project Management Academic community
- 2018 - Guest lecture for M.Sc. in Project Management on the topic of "Differences in PM within the multinationals, family businesses, and the public sector".
- 2020 - Guest lecture for M.BA on the topic of "Getting in front of Problems"
HE Relationships and HEANET PMO
- Attend the bi-annual HEANET PMO meetings aimed at facilitating the sharing of knowledge and procedures within the HE sector in Ireland.
- 2018 - Presented on introducing the business readiness process in UCC and facilitated discussion on the benefits of the new process
- Maintain regular contact with colleagues in the HE sector