CARE21, or ‘Caring in the 21st Century’, is a significant social sciences research programme to be hosted by the Institute for Social Science in the 21st Century (ISS21).
Funded by the Carolan Research Trust, CARE21 will advance interdisciplinary and social scientific understandings of care, caring relations and care practices in contemporary society, and is a major, strategic intervention to develop and consolidate caring research and capacity in ISS21 over a long term basis. Specifically, CARE21 aims to (i) advance a programme of innovative research, dissemination and dialogue as a common resource for academics, advocates, policymakers, community and voluntary organisations and others concerned with caring relations; (ii) raise awareness of the significance of care research as an interdisciplinary endeavour, and forge networks and collaborations nationally and internationally; (iii) build the longer term sustainability of ISS21 as a centre for expertise in interdisciplinary social research on the changing dynamics of care and caring in the 21st century.
The Institute is currently recruiting two Research Fellows (who will be known as ISS21 Carolan Research Fellows for a period of 27 months), who will play a key role in advancing interdisciplinary research and engagement around care and caring in its broadest sense, and will seek to further develop ISS21 as a focal point for collaborative research expertise in the social sciences in Ireland. Each Fellow will develop, manage, and conduct a specific research project in relation to one or more of the following CARE21 themes:
- care, care relationships and identities as they relate to different groups in society (older people, families, children, people with disabilities, migrants, caring in the context of gender, for example);
- research which questions understandings of, or reframes, how we think about care in contemporary society;
- the ethics and politics of care and caring;
- geographies and spaces of care (including formal and informal spaces), care mobilities, and transnational caring;
- the relationship between care and technology;
- innovative and creative methodologies in care research.
For more details about the posts, please go to http://ore.ucc.ie. More information about the posts is available from Dr. Claire Edwards, Director ISS21, or one of the ISS21 Caring Working Group convenors, Dr. Carol Kelleher, or Dr. Jacqui O’Riordan.