Explore This page
Outlook PST's are no longer supported.
Summary: IT Services can see that there are a lot of staff out there, that have old email in archived .pst files stored on their desktops and laptops. This is a very vulnerable place to store important data and given that we have moved to Office 365 some years back and peoples mailboxes are much larger, we are reminding people to move that email stored locally on their machine, back up to the cloud. Especially now that we have MFA to secure access to that email.
Primary users of this service: Staff
Who to contact to use this service: IT Services |
Contact to discuss this service: E: firstname.lastname@example.org | IT Services |
Strategic Focus: Enabling Infrastructure Services
Import a .pst File to Office 365
This option lets you automatically import a .pst file using the Import/Export option. In most cases this will speed the process up and make it easier for you.
- Open Outlook 2016/365.
- Disconnect all PSTs to be imported from the Outlook client (e.g., right-click on your .pst in your folder list and choose Close “.pst”
- Exit Outlook and then relaunch the Outlook client to assure the PSTs are free from any connections from the client.
- Create a destination folder in your Office 365 mailbox that correspond to each PST to be imported.
- Select by clicking on the destination folder you wish to import the .pst file into. (NOTE: this is the folder the mail will be imported into).
- Choose File | Open & Export.
- Choose Import/Export.
- Select “Import from another program or file” and click Next.
- Select “Outlook Data File (.pst)” and click Next.
- Browse to your .pst file, select it, and click Open.
- Choose whether you want to allow, replace, or not allow duplicate items. Then click Next.
- If you want to import the entire .pst file, select the main folder containing all subfolders. Then select the checkbox labeled “Include subfolders”
- You can Expand the Outlook Data File until you see a specific folder with the emails you want to import, Select that folder. Then select the checkbox labeled “Include subfolders”
- Finally, select the option labeled “Import items into the current folder” and click Finish.
- The emails and folders will appear in your currently selected folder. If you need to make any final adjustments, simply drag and drop the emails and folders to the correct location.
Manually Move Folders from a .pst File to Office 365
This option lets you manually open an Outlook Data File (.pst) and choose which folders to import. This can be a better option when you want to import only specific folders and subfolders within the .pst file.
- If your .pst is not already opened in Outlook 2016/365, choose File | Open & Export
- Choose Open Outlook Data File
- Find your .pst file (either C: or H: drive), select it and click Open.
- In your Office 365 folder list, right click on your email address (or account name) and choose New Folder
- Name the folder (e.g., pst folder contents)
- Next, in the folder list, locate your .pst file and click the arrow to expand the list of folders.
- Select a folder and drag it to the new folder you just created under your Office 365 mailbox.
- Repeat for each folder you need to move.
- When finished, right click on the .pst folder and choose Close "foldername"