Erasmus Study


The International Office assists students in preparing for the year abroad.  Students will be provided with information regarding all aspects of studying abroad:

  • Choosing host university
  • Applying to host university
  • Applying for accommodation, language courses, orientations etc at host university
  • Financial Aspects/Erasmus Grant
  • Travel and health insurance
  • Registration
  • Approval of courses/examinations

The International Office will be your point of contact during your studies at UCC but most importantly during your period abroad.

Click on the video link below to hear student persepectives on studying abroad.

Studying and Living Abroad: Student Perspectives 

Credit: UCC School of languages

How Do I Apply?

Students who are interested in studying abroad as part of their studies at UCC should follow the following steps:

  • Look at the list of partner universities available under the subject(s) that you are currently studying
  • Check what courses are offered by the university
  • Speak with the relevant Academic Coordinator to get further details.  The Academic Coordinator will help you to determine if the university you are interested in is suited to your own studies.

Once a suitable host university has been agreed upon with your Academic Coordinator, the Academic Coordinator will send your details to the International Office.

You will be required to complete an Online Application Form for the International Office.   Please contact regarding the application procedure.  


Once the signed copy is received by the International Office your nomination will then be sent to the relevant host university.  The host university will advise you of their application procedures (you will be required to complete separate application forms for your host university).

Deadline for Application of Interest:

Students who are interested in studying abroad should contact the International Office and their Academic Department by:

  • Students going abroad for semester 1/full academic year: November/December of second year
  • Students going abroad for semester 2: May/June of second year

Any queries please contact Clare Murphy - email:

Click here for more information: How do I apply?

Search for Erasmus+ Partner Universities

Search for Erasmus+ Partner Universities

UCC has many partner universitities. Please click on the following link to search for Partner Universities.

Please click on the following links to download PDF list of partner universities:


Information Guides on Partner Universities

We have compiled Information Guides on some of UCC's partner universities.  These guides are based on information provided by students who have participated in the Erasmus programme. 

We are in the process of compiling guides on our other partners and hope to have these online shortly. Please click on the links below to download the guide.


Wirtschafts Universitat Wien (225kB)

Universitat Klagenfurt (464kB)


Haute Ecole de Bruxelles (141kB)

Facultes Universitaires Notre Dame de la Paix Namur (204kB)

Czech Republic

Prague, Charles University (357kB)



Kobenhavns Universiteit (183kB)

Copenhagen Business School (387kB)




University of Helsinki (393kB)



Institut d'Etudes Politiques Aix-en-Provence (369kB)

Universite de Provence Aix-Marseille (360kB) 

Universite Michel de Montaigne Bordeaux 3 (284kB)

Universite de Caen (165kB)

Universite Clermont Auvergne (387kB)  

Universite Pierre Mendes France Grenoble 2 (300kB)

Universite Charles de Gaulle Lille 3 (253kB) 

Universite de Montpellier 1 (257kB)

Universite Paul Valery (465kB)‌ Montpellier

Universite de Nantes (476kB)

Universite de la Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris 3 (169kB)

Ecole superieure de Commerce ISC Paris (162kB)

Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris "Science Po" (303kB)

Universite de Rennes 1 (208kB)

Rennes 2 (285kB) )

Universite de Strasbourg (233kB)

Universite Francois Rabelais (440kB) Tours


 Back to top



Universitat Bayreuth (410kB)

Ruhr-Universitat Bochum (123kB)

Rheinische Friederich Wilhelms Universitat Bonn (270kB)

EBS Business School (490kB)

Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen-Nurnberg (134kB)

Universitat Gottingen (422kB)

Universitat Hannover (211kB)

Universitat Koln (287kB)

Universitat Konstanz (107kB)

Universitat Leipzig (269kB)

Philipps Universitat Marburg (250kB)

Ludwig Maximillians Universitat Munchen (119kB)

Universitat Passau (357kB)

Universitat Regensburg (441kB)

Universitat Rostock (235kB)       

WHU Otto Beisheim School of Management (485kB)



Universita degli studi di Bologna (191kB)

Universita degli studi di Firenze (187kB)

Universita degli studi di Genova (161kB)

Universita degli studi di Padova (173kB)

Universita degli studi di Palermo (442kB)

Universita degli studi di Perugia (286kB)

Universita Roma Tre (211kB)

Universita degli studi di Siena (251kB)

Universita degli studi di Udine (139kB)     

Universita degli studi di Venezia (451kB) 

Back to top



Vilnius University (503kB)



University of Malta (516kB)



Universiteit Groningen (455kB)

HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht (544kB)

Leiden (196kB)  

Utrecht University (527kB) 



University of Oslo (220kB)



Universidade de Coimbra (443kB)



University of Aberdeen (134kB)

University of Edinburgh (434kB)



Universidad de Alcala de Henares (203kB)

Universidad de Alicante (238kB)  

Universidad de Barcelona (172kB)

Universidad de A Coruna (451kB)

Universidad de Burgos (101kB)

Universidad de Cadiz (117kB)

Universidad de Deusto (157kB)

Universidad de Navarra (177kB)

Universidad de Salamanca (272kB)

Universidad de Santiago de Compostela (147kB)

Universitat de Valencia (465kB) 



Lunds Universitet (479kB)

University of Uppsala (472kB)



University of Cardiff (462kB)

University of Hull (458kB)

University of Kent (462kB)

University of Sussex (460kB)



 Back to top  

Erasmus Grant


All students participating in the Erasmus+ programme are entitled to apply for an Erasmus grant. The Erasmus grant is intended as a contribution to the overall cost of the year abroad, to cover the cost of living differential associated with living abroad.  The grant will be calculated based on the total number of days at the host university rather than total number of months.  During the academic year students will be required to submit certificates to UCC confirming date of arrival and date of departure.

The Erasmus grant for the 2020/2021 academic year will be as follows:


Amounts per month 

Austria €300 Lithuania €300
Belgium €300 Malta €300
Czech Republic €300 Netherlands €300
Denmark €350 Norway €350
Finland €350 Poland €300
France €300 Portugal €300
Germany €300 Slovakia €300
Greece €300 Spain €300
Hungary €300 Sweden €350
Iceland €350 UK €350
Italy €300  


The Erasmus grant will be lodged to students's bank accounts provided in the online application form submitted to the International Office in April.  It is essential that the International Office be informed of any change in bank account details.  

It is expected that the Erasmus grant will be paid in three instalments as follows:

  • First payment in October (after completing of UCC online registration)
  • Second payment in February/March (after submission of required forms)
  • Final payment at the end of the academic year (after submission of required forms)

Updated information regarding the Erasmus grant payment will be emailed to all students during the academic year.


Local Authority Grant

If you are entitled to a local authority grant, this entitlement continues for the period of your stay abroad. Your local authority should be informed of your year abroad. The International Education Office will provide a supporting letter.

Students are requested to contact the Fees Office (North Wing, Main Quadrangle) to complete the necessary forms in order to receive their local authority grant whilst abroad.

Contact details for the Fees/Scholarships/Grants Office:

Tel: + 353 21 4902365/2847
Fax: + 353 21 4903459

Estimated Cost of Living

Living abroad as an exchange student does not come free, and the costs vary from country to country, and according to the period of time you spend abroad.  While you are not charged for tuition at the host university, you will need to budget for flights, accommodation, food and other general expenses.  Some countries are more expensive than others, as are some cities, and the extra expenditure involved will also depend on whether you are currently living at home.  If you are, you will find that accommodation will become a major cost.  However, if you are already paying rent in Cork, you will probably find that accommodation costs are cheaper abroad than they are in Ireland.  In some countries you may be entitled to some financial assistance towards the cost of your rent.  For example, in France you may be able to get a substantial rent rebate of approximately 50% and maybe more.  Your host university will have details on the procedure for applying for this. 

Calculate how much money you will need and plan for higher costs at the beginning.  You will probably be required to pay a month’s deposit for your accommodation as well as a month’s rent in advance.  Extra money is also likely to be needed for a travel pass, for other deposits, student discount cards, etc.  You may need to purchase extra household items if those supplied are insufficient. 


The International Office has produced a guide for Estimated Cost of Living for Partner Universities.  Students may also view an Estimated Cost of Living per Country The figures are a guideline only to the cost of living in the relevant city/country.  These figures are based on the experiences of previous students who have studied abroad.  

Students will find further detailed up-to-date information on the partner university website.


Students may also find the following website usefull to in order to learn about the average cost of living abroad: Cost of Living

Online Linguistic Support

The Online Linguistic Support portal provides participants with the opportunity to assess their knowledge of the language they will use to study abroad.  In addition, selected participants may follow an online language course to improve their competence.

Online Linguistic Support explained

Erasmus+ participants can benefit from OLS in different ways. Before you set off, you can assess your language level online.

Once this has been done, Erasmus+ participants can access online materials, courses and language learning forums so that you can improve your language level. After your Erasmus+ experience, participants have the opportunity to assess the progress they made.

OLS is currently available in the following languages: German, English, Spanish, French, Italian and Dutch.  By 2020, Erasmus+ aims to have language learning online up-and-running for all official EU languages.


Online Linguistic Assessment

The OLS language assessment provides Erasmus+ participants with an easy and simple way to assess their proficiency in the language they will mostly use to study during their mobility abroad. By taking the OLS language assessment, you will be able to determine both your overall level in the language and detailed performance in each language area (reading comprehension, listening comprehension, grammatical competence, semantic competence and lexical competence), with final scores in line with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

The OLS language assessment is also a quick way for participants to know whether they might need additional linguistic support, in order to make the most out of their exchange abroad.

The OLS language assessment is compulsory for all students, and taking the OLS language assessment before their departure is a pre-requisite for the exchange. However, in no case will the results of the assessment prevent you from taking part in the mobility activity. On the contrary, participants with lower language skills will have a greater chance of being offered a language course, in order to be best prepared for their mobility.

By taking the second OLS language assessment upon return from their mobility, Erasmus+ participants will have the possibility to evaluate how their language level has developed during their stay abroad and to quantify their progress. After having taken each of the OLS assessments, you will be able to save and print your language assessment results for further reference.


Online Linguistic Course

The advantages of the Erasmus+ OLS language courses can be summarized in a few words: à la carte exercises, where and when you want them. Thanks to unlimited access, it is possible to use the language courses both day and night, and study as much as you want at your own pace. As no installation is required, the Erasmus+ OLS language courses can be followed from any computer or tablet, provided that the device is connected to the Internet. To make the best possible use of the course, please make sure that your loudspeakers are turned on, or your headphones plugged in.

Each user is assigned a personalised training programme. However, you are entirely free to choose the courses you find useful and you can follow them at your own pace and in the order of your choice. Animations and videos based on real life allow you to practise your listening comprehension, reading comprehension, writing and speaking skills.


Please click on the following links to download the relevant information guides to assist you with completing the language assessment and language course: 

Please click on the following link for the EU's FAQ: Online Linguistic Support FAQ 


Health and Travel Insurance

All students going abroad are required to have comprehensive health and travel insurance policy. 


European Health Insurance Card 

Students will need the European Health Insurance Card which is obtainable from the relevant local health board.  The EHIC entitles holders to full medical treatment in any European Union country, for any condition, whether or not it is of an emergency nature.  

When applying for the EHIC you will need to present a letter from the International Education Office confirming your placement (this will be sent to your home address).  You will also be required to provide your PPS number.

Full information on the EHIC is available on the European Health Insurance Card website:


Private Health Insurance 

It is recommended that you take out some form of private health insurance policy to cover you while you are studying abroad.  You should not rely on the cover provided by the EHIC as this may be quite limited.  Public healthcare systems very from country to country, and few countries pay the full cost of healthcare for holders of the EHIC. 

If you are covered by your parents' private health insurance plan, you should confirm the actual level of cover you will have while abroad.  Make sure that you keep a recrod of any emergency numbers that they give you in case you have to make a claim.   


Travel Insurance 

Students are required to secure private travel cover for the duration of the period abroad.  Just because you have emergency health insurance it does not mean you will be covered for the cost of repatriation, delayed or cancelled flights, loss of luggage or money while you travel.  Students should consult the web along with health insurance companies.

Important Forms for Erasmus+ Students

All students are required to return a number of forms to UCC during the semester/year abroad.  Email reminders will be sent to students during the academic year.


Contact Details Form

We would appreciate if you would send us your contact details at your host city as soon as possible. You can either complete the Contact Details Form (32kB) or email Clare Murphy - with your details.


Certificate of Arrival Form

All students studying abroad under the Erasmus+ programme are required to have a Certificate of Arrival Form (12kB) completed by your host university and returned to the International Office as soon as possible.


Learning Agreement 

If you make a change to your original learning agreement (before section) then you must complete the During Section of the learning agreement.   (learning agreement template forms available below under 'Academic Requirements' section.


Certificate of Attendance Form

All students studying abroad under the Erasmus+ programme are required to have the Certificate of Attendance (14kB) completed by your host university and returned to the International Office before you depart your host city.


Acknowledgement of Erasmus Student Mobility Grant Form        

All students are required to complete and return the Acknowledgement of Erasmus Grant (320kB) to the International Office at the end of their study period.  


Final Report

All students are required to complete an online report.  An email with a link to the online report will be sent to students at the end of their study period.


Erasmus Online Language Assessment

All students studying abroad through the medium of French, German, Italian and Spanish will be required to complete the second language assessment.  An email with a link to the online language assessment will be sent at the end of the study period.

Academic Requirements

Learning Agreement/Approval of Courses

All students expected to study abroad are required to complete a Learning Agreement.  The Learning Agreement is an important document.  It is the contract of study agreed between you, your UCC academic coordinator and the host university.  The learning agreement outlines a provisional list of modules that you wish to study at the host university, along with the credit weighting of each module.  The European Commission requires that each student is in possession of a completed learning agreement prior to departure.

Students can complete the learning agreement on the Erasmus Online Learning Agreement Platform.  This platform will enable you to track the progress of your learning agreement. 

Please follow the following instructions: Instructions for completing the online learning agreement


Students who are having difficulties with the online learning agreement platform can alternatively complete the word version:


Please keep in close contact with your departmental coordinator regarding your courses when you are abroad. If you encounter any problems, it is important that you contact UCC immediately.


Return of Examination Results from Host Institution

Examination results from your year abroad should be submitted to the International Office as soon as they are available.  Students studying in Germany should ensure that they collect their 'scheine' at the end of semester 1 and 2.  Students studying in Italy should ensure that their 'libretto' is completed in full.  Any student who is taking a language course in a university language centre must collect the results and return them to the International Office.

Some institutions forward transcripts to UCC, others do not.  Please ensure that you are clear about the procedure at your host institution before you return to Ireland.  It is the responsibility of the student to prove that they have successfully achieved the required number of credits at their host institution.

Contact Us

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact UCC:

International Office

Ms. Clare Murphy
Erasmus Coordinator
International Office,
University College Cork,
Western Road,

Phone: +353 21 4904726
Fax: +353 21 4904735


UCC Erasmus Academic Coordinators

Please click on the following link for contact details: UCC Erasmus Academic Coordinators 

UCC Emergency Contact Details

UCC is open Monday to Friday from 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm.  Should you need to contact UCC outside of these hours please contact:
UCC Security
Tel: +353 21 4902266 or 4903111

 Other UCC Services:

Fees/Scholarships/Grants Office

Phone: +353 21 4902365/2847 
Fax: +353 21 4903459

Student Records & Examinations Office

Phone: +353 21 4902423 
Fax: +353 21 4903448 

Careers Office

Phone: +353 21 4902121/2500 
Fax: +353 21 4903558 

Student Counselling and Development

Phone: +353 21 4903565 
Text: +353 87 2152505


International Office

Oifig Idirnáisiúnta

Roseleigh, Western Road, Cork, T12 R229

Ask a question

Contact us