Exchanges outside the EU

Exchanges outside the EU

Exchanges outside the EU


The International Office assists students in preparing for the study period abroad.  Students will be provided with information regarding all aspects of studying abroad:

  • Choosing host university
  • Applying to host university
  • Travel and Health insurance
  • Visa requirements
  • Registration
  • Approval of courses/examinations

Study abroad is open to students during the third year of a four-year degree programme.  Students may study abroad for a semester or for an academic year.  Students are advised to consult with their academic department/coordinator. 

The International Office will be your point of contact during your studies at UCC but most importantly during your period abroad.

Where can I Study

UCC has many non-EU exchange partner universities.  Please click on the following link for list of List of UCC's non-EU partner universities


University of California Exchange Programme

Under the terms of the agreement UCC undergraduate students spend a full academic year at one of nine University of California campuses.  Students receive a tuition fee waiver from the University of California.  Only students of high honours standard (usually first class honours) are selected to participate in the programme.  Please note that first year students are not eligible to apply.

To apply, please see 'How do I apply?' below. 


Visiting Scholar Programme at the University of California

Post-first year PhD students may spend a term, semester or year at the University of California. Visiting scholars do not enrol in courses (although they can audit), but rather engage in research. The programme can be a good option for PhD students or junior faculty who primarily need access to archives and libraries etc., or who want to work with a particular scholar or research group. The visiting scholar must secure an invitation from a willing University of California professor and department. Students may apply to participate in the Visiting Scholar Programme at any time during the academic year. Please note that a 4-month lead-in is required for the application process to be completed.  Interested applicants should contact the International Office.


George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship

UCC students have the opportunity to spend an academic year at an institution in the University of Maine System.  Students must have completed at least one full year; have a record of high academic achievement and demonstrated leadership abilities and a commitment to community service in order to be eligible to apply.  Students who are immediate graduates of UCC are also eligible to apply for the scholarship.  

The successful candidates will receive remission of tuition and academic fees and free room and board.  

To apply, please see 'How do I apply?' below. 

How Do I Apply?

Students who are interested in studying abroad as part of their studies at UCC should follow the following steps:

  • Look at the list of UCC's partner universities
  • Check what courses are offered by the university
  • Speak with the relevant Academic Coordinator who will help you to determine if the university you are interested in is suited to your own studies.

To access the application form, please click on the application link relevant to you below. 

When you are emailing your application form to, please include your name, degree and UCC student number.  Blank emails will not be accepted. 

If you are experiencing issues opening the application form, please email 

Application Form  Deadline to submit application  
University College Cork Student Exchange Application Form 2020-2021 Closed (Applications for 2021/2022 will open November 2020 (Deadline December 2020)
University of California- Study Abroad Application Form 2020-2021 Closed (Applications for 2021/2022 will open October 2020 (Deadline Early November 2020)
George J. Mitchell Peace Scholarship 2020-2021 Closed (Applications for 2021/2022 will open November 2020 (Deadline December 2020)

Estimated Cost of Living

Living abroad as an exchange student does not come free, and the costs vary from country to country, and according to the period of time you spend abroad.  While you are not charged for tuition at the host university, you will need to budget for flights, accommodation, food and other general expenses. 

Some countries are more expensive than others, as are some cities, and the extra expenditure involved will also depend on whether you are currently living at home.  If you are, you will find that accommodation will become a major cost. 

Calculate how much money you will need and plan for higher costs at the beginning. 

The International Office has provided an Estimated Cost of Living Guide. Information provided is based on information received from partner universities.

The International Office is currently updating the Estimated Cost of Living Guide to include cost information for each partner university.  This will be available in November.  In the meantime, students can search the information on the partner university website.

Health and Travel Insurance

All students going abroad are advised to have comprehensive health and travel insurance policy for the duration of the study period abroad.  Students must be covered for hospitalisation and repatriation.   Students should check the information received from the host university as many universities require students to sign up for the university insurance policy.   

Visa Requirements

Students travelling to countries outside the EU will require a study visa or study permit. 

The International Office will provide an information session regarding requirements. 

You cannot apply for your visa until you have received a letter of admission and visa documents from your host university. 

Academic Requirements

Please keep in close contact with your departmental coordinator regarding your courses when you are abroad. If you encounter any problems, it is important that you contact UCC immediately. 

Return of Examination Results from Host Institution 

Examination results from your study period abroad should be submitted to the International Office as soon as they are available.   

Important: Some institutions forward transcripts to UCC, others do not.  Please ensure that you are clear about the procedure at your host institution before you return to Ireland.  It is the responsibility of the student to prove that they have successfully achieved the required number of credits at their host institution.

Important Forms for Students

All students are required to return a number of forms to UCC during the semester/year abroad.  Email reminders will be sent to students during the academic year.

The International Office will email you with these forms prior to your departure along with further information. 

Contact Details Form 

We would appreciate if you would send us your contact details at your host city as soon as possible after arrival. You can either complete the Contact Details Form  or email Mary-Brid Murphy at

 Statement of Responsibility Form

This will be emailed to you prior to departure by Mary-Brid Murphy at

UCC study abroad student stories

James Roche, Semester 1, 2019 at North Carolina State University



Contact Us

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact UCC:

International Office



Marita Foster
Deputy Director International

Phone: +353 21 4904722

International Office

Mary Brid Murphy
Study Abroad Assistant

Phone: +353 21 4904723

UCC Emergency Contact Details

UCC is open Monday to Friday from 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm.  Should you need to contact UCC outside of these hours please contact:

UCC Security
Tel: +353 21 4902266 or 4903111

 Other UCC Services:

Fees/Scholarships/Grants Office

Phone: +353 21 4902365/2847 
Fax: +353 21 4903459

Student Records & Examinations Office

Phone: +353 21 4902423 
Fax: +353 21 4903448 

Careers Office

Phone: +353 21 4902121/2500 
Fax: +353 21 4903558 

Student Counselling and Development

Phone: +353 21 4903565 
Text: +353 87 2152505


International Office

Oifig Idirnáisiúnta

Roseleigh, Western Road, Cork, T12 R229

Ask a question

Contact us