- Our Team
- Our Research
- CUSTOMISE (HRB)
- LINK project (IRC)
- Falls prevention project (HRB Applied Partnership Award 2017)
- Experiences and perceptions of evidence use among senior stakeholders in the HSE - Evidence use in the Irish health service
- End to End (E2E) Implementation of the Model of Integrated Care for Type 2 diabetes (Sláintecare)
- Diabetes Prevention Programme Project (HRB - CDP CDP)
- Cancer Survivorship Project (HRB - SPHeRE)
- Photovoice Project
- Training and Events
- Patient and Public Involvement
The CUSTOMISE (Comparing and Understanding Tailoring Methods for Implementation Strategies in Healthcare) study is funded through a Health Research Board (HRB) Research Leader Award (2020-2025). Dr Sheena McHugh is the Principal Investigator on this five-year programme of research. The award will support research on the process and impact of tailoring strategies to implement evidence-based interventions and build capacity and collaborations in implementation science. The research programme focuses in the first instance on improving care for older people and people with diabetes, two groups prioritised in the national healthcare strategy, Sláintecare. As part of the HRB Research Leader Award, we will train researchers and practitioners involved in implementation to build expertise in Ireland and establish a network of people interested in this topic.
Why are we doing this research?
Our two main research questions are:
- How can we accurately, efficiently, and effectively tailor strategies to support the implementation of evidence-based interventions for older people and those with complex chronic conditions, to enhance implementation effectiveness and subsequently improve quality of care and health outcomes?
- How can we strengthen partnerships between researchers and health service organizations to build capacity, support integrated knowledge translation, and increase use of research in the health service for the benefit of service users?
The research programme comprises of a number of work packages.
Cochrane review Protocol
- Riordan F, Curran GM, Lewis CC et al. Characterising processes and outcomes of tailoring implementation strategies in healthcare: a protocol for a scoping review [version 1; peer review: 1 approved with reservations]. HRB Open Res 2022, 5:17 (https://doi.org/10.12688/hrbopenres.13507.1)
- Sheena M. McHugh, Fiona Riordan, Geoff M. Curran, Cara C Lewis, Luke Wolfenden, Justin Presseau, Rebecca Lengnick-Hall and Byron Powell. “Conceptual tensions and practical trade-offs in tailoring implementation interventions” Frontiers in Health Services 17 November 2022 Sec. Implementation Science. https://doi.org/10.3389/frhs.2022.974095
- Sheena M McHugh, Fiona Riordan, Claire Kerins, Geoff Curran, Cara C Lewis, Justin Presseau, Luke Wolfeden, Byron J Powell. Understanding tailoring to support the implementation of evidence-based interventions in healthcare: The CUSTOMISE research programme protocol [version 1; peer review: awaiting peer review]. HRB Open Res 2023, 6:7 https://doi.org/10.12688/hrbopenres.13675.1
- 6th Biennial Society for Implementation Research Conference. San Diego, California, USA (Oral Presentation) "Characterising processes and outcomes of tailoring implementation strategies in healthcare: a protocol for a scoping review" Presenter: Nickola Pallin (on behalf of Riordan,F., Albers, B., Clack, L., Pallin, N., Curran, G., Lewis, C., Powell, B., Presseau, J., Wolfenden, L., and McHugh, S.) 9 September 2022.
UCC College of Medicine and Health conference 'From molecules to people' (Oral presentation) “Tailoring strategies to support the implementation of Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating (DAFNE), a structured patient education programme for people with Type 1 diabetes” Presenter: Fiona Riordan. 22nd September 2022.
5th UK Implementation Science Research Conference, (Poster presentation) “Characterising processes and outcomes of tailoring implementation strategies in healthcare: a protocol for a scoping review” Presenter: Fiona Riordan. 14-15th July 2022.
5th UK Implementation Science Research Conference, (Poster presentation “Tailoring strategies to support the implementation of Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating (DAFNE), a structured patient education programme for people with Type 1 diabetes” )Presenter: Fiona Riordan. 14-15th July 2022.