Professor Josephine Hegarty, School of Nursing & Midwifery
Professor Josephine Hegarty was nominated by the staff of the School of Nursing and Midwifery. Below, we hear why Josephine is so deserving of this acknowledgement.
“Josephine’s ethical and relational leadership has been critical to the School’s successful negotiation of the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Examples from her inclusive and compassionate strategy include:
- communicating weekly so that students (especially international students) – many of whom were catapulted onto the front lines of hospital and care settings – were genuinely supported;
- enabling volunteer staff to work on the front lines and/or contact-tracing;
- facilitating the conversion of the Clinical Skills Resource Centre into a day ward so that patients from the Mercy University Hospital could safely access chemotherapy;
- publicly sharing inspirational stories of undergraduate and postgraduate nursing and midwifery students."
How to nominate a UCC Hero/UCC Heroes:
Nominations can be made by any person with respect to an individual or team worthy of celebration as a UCC Hero or Heroes.
Submissions are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing:
1. 100 words explaining the contribution of the person/team during COVID-19
2. A high-resolution photograph of the person/team
3. Contact details of the nominating staff member