Current Leaders Level 2 Senior Leadership Development Programme
Current Leaders Level 2 Programme (formerly Aspiring Leaders)
Module 1: 26 – 29 April 2021 inclusive (AM) - 'Leadership in UCC' & 'Team Leadership & Results'
Module 2: 17 – 20 May 2021 inclusive (AM) - 'Communications with Impact'
Now entering its fourth year, the Current Leaders Level 2 programme (formerly known as Aspiring Leaders) has been developed in conjunction with the Irish Management Institute and delivered this year remotely by IMI faculty.
Staff encouraged to undertake Current Leaders Level 2 (formerly known as Aspiring Leaders) before Current Leaders Level 1. Level 2 builds strong operational skills while level 1 focuses more on strategic aspects.
Academic, research, professional & technical staff new to, considering or interested in a leadership role i.e. lecturer, senior lecturer, head of department, research, professional services roles across all academic disciplines and throughout university administration.
Applications are considered against the following criteria:
Following discussion & approval from your line manager, please apply via the Current Leaders Level 2 Application Form. Email confirmation from Head of Unit will also suffice in lieu of signature.
A contribution of €500 per participant will be requested, paid by College or local Unit (decision made locally & relevant cost code provided). HR will cover all remaining costs.
NOTE: In pursuit of UCC strategy and the key role of all UCC leaders and managers in enabling and delivering our goals and objectives, 'all new appointees at senior lecturer level & higher and professional & technical staff at grade 7 & higher (or equivalent) are required to participate in the most relevant IMI/UCC Senior Leadership Development Programme to them'.
Module Content & Learning Outcomes
Module 1 (April 2021) - Leadership in UCC; Team Leadership & Results
- Leadership in UCC – understand the role of a leader within UCC and wider academic context; explore effective leadership skills
- You as a leader – understand what makes a good leader
- Personal Development Planning – identify strengths and gaps; incorporate these into a learning and development roadmap
- Team Leadership - understand the characteristics of effective teams and team leadership in the new normal
- Leadership & Results – how to lead (people) through times of change
Module 2 (May 2021) - Communications with Impact
- Communications – understand and develop the skills of effective communications; different communication styles in the new normal; how to communicate effectively working with a team remotely/face to face
- Effective conversations - help participants to understand the power of effective conversations; handling difficult conversation constructively, having feedback conversations; using role plays and scenarios
- Influence and Impact - how to persuade, influence and have an impact using soft communication skills
- Decision Making – understand the importance of decision making and how values influence this; encourage participants to think about their own personal values and how they connect this with the values of UCC
Feedback from Current Leaders Level 2 (formerly known as Aspiring Leaders) participants 2019
"Attending this course is the best way of identifying, connecting and building a relationship with a network of your like-minded and leadership-focused colleagues in UCC. Commit. Leave your phone at home. Leave your laptop in the office. Tell your colleagues you are out of the country. These are the most rewarding and enjoyable few days you can spend on your own development here in UCC, but only if you COMMIT to it"