What is Coaching?
Coaching is a confidential and impartial one-to-one process which enables self-learning and development. It is purposeful and outcome focused and one of the most powerful development approaches available.
What are the benefits?
Coaching can be useful to enhance skills and develop strategies to be more effective and to build resilience. It can also assist in the creation a reflective space which fosters thinking. Coaching can be especially effective for those new to the University, those considering career development opportunities and for those transitioning into new roles.
Coaching can also be effective in enabling an individual to relate to & influence others & improve working relationships.
What is involved?
Coaching ordinarily involves up to four 75-90 minute meetings during working hours, once every 3-6 weeks, arranged at a mutually convenient time for the coach and coachee. The meetings are usually completed within 6 months.
Internal Coaching: There is a small internal panel of UCC coaches based within HR.
External Coaching: The Staff Welfare and Development team maintains a panel of approved Executive coaches. The costs of the coach are paid by the unit in which the coachee is based and line management approval should be in place prior to coaching Staff Welfare & Development.
UCC Internal Coaching Panel
The application process for the 2019 UCC Internal Coaching Panel is now complete. There were 16 successful applicants & they begin their coaching journeys next week.
You can meet members of the 2019 UCC Internal Coaching Panel HERE.
UCC Internal Coaching Panel
Continuing UCC’s commitment to developing, supporting and retaining staff of the highest quality the University Management Team has approved the creation of a UCC internal coaching panel. It is anticipated that 15 staff members will be appointed to this panel in 2019/2020. All UCC staff members are invited to apply.
Candidates appointed to the UCC Internal Coaching Panel will undergo the UCC PG Certificate in Personal and Management Coaching commencing September 2019. Course fees for the successful candidates will be covered.
UCC staff members are invited to attend a briefing session on the UCC Internal Coaching Panel on Wednesday May 8th at 12.00pm in Boole 5.
Interested staff members will need line manager approval prior to applying. Applicants will also be required to meet the eligibility criteria for the PG Cert in Personal Management Coaching and demonstrate full commitment to the programme (inclusive of attendance, completion of assignments, undertaking coaching and carrying out coaching practice). At the end of the programme, internal coaches will be required to make themselves available to provide coaching to at least two internal UCC staff members at any one time. This amounts to a commitment of circa three hours each month. UCC Internal Coaching Panel Members will also be required to attend coaching supervision sessions (circa 4 times annually x 2 hours).
Applicants for the UCC Internal Coaching Panel 2019/20 are required to meet the following criteria:
- Eligibility for the PG Cert in Personal Management Coaching
- Hold an NFQ Level 8 honours degree or level 8 Higher Diploma, in which at least a second class honours was awarded or hold an appropriate professional qualification with at least two years’ significant experience in coaching or management with senior professional responsibility
- Applicants are required to supply two written references. One reference must be a professional reference
- All applicants with be required to attend for interview as part of the application process
- The English Language Requirements for applicants whose first language is not English must have attained IELTS Level 6.5 or the equivalent TOEFL score
- Availability and commitment to the programme dates and completion of assignments
- Completion of 50 hours pro-bono coaching (as part of the requirements for the PG Certificate in Personal and Management Coaching)
- Participation in 4 hours coaching (as a coachee) outside class (as part of the requirements of the PG Certificate in Personal and Management Coaching)
- Commitment to active membership of the UCC Internal Coaching Panel
- Relevant experience, personal skills in alignment with the role of coach – https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.associationforcoaching.com/resource/resmgr/Accreditation/Accred_General/Coaching_Competency_Framewor.pdf
- Commitment to ongoing continuous professional development including coaching supervision
Shortlisting and interviews will be carried out in June 2019. Candidates will be advised as to the outcome of their applications in July 2019. Decisions made at shortlisting and interview will be made in accordance with the criteria as outlined above together with the intention to create a coaching panel which is representative of the range of expertise available to us from all areas in UCC. All UCC staff members may apply. We encourage applications from UCC staff members of diverse & underrepresented backgrounds.
UCC INTERNAL COACHING PANEL APPLICATION FORM >> Internal Coaching Panel Application Form
Completed application forms should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4pm Wednesday 22nd May 2019.
Dates of Programme
September 12th, 2019 9.30am - 4.30pm North Wing Conference Room
September 26th, 2019 9.30am - 4.30pm North Wing Conference Room
October 10th, 2019 9.30am - 4.30pm North Wing Conference Room
October 31st, 2019 9.30am - 4.30pm North Wing Conference Room
November 21st, 2019 9.30am - 4.30pm Boole Library Seminar Room
December 5th, 2019 9.30am - 4.30pm North Wing Conference Room
January 9th, 2020 9.30am - 1.00pm North Wing Conference Room
February 27th, 2020 9.30am - 1.00pm North Wing Conference Room
March 26th, 2020 9.30am - 1.00pm North Wing Conference Room
April 23rd, 2020 9.30am - 1.00pm North Wing Conference Room
May 28th, 2020 9.30am - 4.30pm North Wing Conference Room
Informal enquiries can be made to Anne Gannon, Manager – Staff Wellbeing & Development email@example.com in relation to membership of the UCC Internal Coaching Panel and Pat O’Leary, Programme Coordinator, UCC PG Certificate in Personal and Management Coaching in relation to further detail on the programme.