Pre Arrival

Work Permits

Before you can enter employment in UCC you must ensure you have a valid work authorisation and must be able to supply proof of the right to work in Ireland .

EU, EEA, UK and Swiss nationals have the right to work in Ireland,  and UCC is obliged by European law to appoint people who are citizens of those countries where possible.Where there is no skills shortage for a particular post, it is highly unlikely that a work authorisation would be granted.

Hosting Agreements (For Employees on a Research Contract)

Before you can enter employment in UCC as a Researcher you must ensure you have a valid work authorisation in the form of a Hosting Agreement for the right to work in Ireland .  This is a Fast-Track Work Permit for Research Employees.  EU, EEA, UK and Swiss Nationals have the right to work in Ireland without a Hosting Agreement.

For Full Application Procedure and Queries, please email:


Entry Visas

An Irish visa is a certificate placed on your passport or travel document to indicate that you are authorised to land in the State. People from certain countries need a valid Irish entry visa before they can land in the country. You do not need a visa to land in Ireland if you are a citizen of one of the countries listed on the Department of Foreign Affairs webpages

If you are not from one of the countries listed above you will require an entry visa. To apply, contact the Irish embassy or consulate in the country where you live. It may also be possible to apply online if you live in a country where the online facility is available. Please see the Department of Justice's webpages for more information on applying for a visa.  

Please note: A standard non-refundable visa application processing fee will be incurred by the individual, not the University. This will be valid for one entry into the State within 90 days of issue. If you then wish to leave the State (this includes travel to Northern Ireland) you will then need a re-entry or multiple-entry visa to re-enter the State.



UCC Campus Accommodation offers 9 stylishly designed apartments in private grounds for visiting faculty to UCC.

These fully fitted self contained apartments offer a flexible and modern living environment.

Located on the Western Road, they are within walking distance of Cork City & directly opposite UCC.

Click here to find out more about our faculty accommodation, St Kildas.

A selection of Cork Auctioneers are listed below:

  • Rose Property Services  Tel: 021 4293333
  • James G. Coughlan & Assoc. Tel: 021 4251500
  • Sherry Fitzgerald           Tel: 021 4273041
  • O’Mahony Walsh & Associates  Tel: 021 4278606

Information on renting and buying a property in Cork can be found on the following web sites.

Threshold is a voluntary organisation that gives information and advice to citizens about rented accomodation in Ireland.


Removal Companies

The following is a list of removal companies in Ireland -

There are many international moving companies that can help you plan your move and transport your belongings. provides quotes from several international movers.


Bringing a car into Ireland

All new motor vehicles and vehicles brought into Ireland are subject to Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and must be registered with the Revenue Commissioners.

If you are moving to Ireland or are already living here and you are importing a car or other vehicle, you will need to do three things before you can drive your vehicle in Ireland:

  • Pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) (unless you are exempt)
  • Have motor insurance
  • Pay motor tax

See HERE for more information.


Bringing a pet into Ireland

The importation of pets into Ireland is strictly controlled.

A new system is in place within the EU called the Pet Passport System which allows pets to be brought directly into Ireland from low-risk rabies countries. Pets traveling from outside the qualifying EU countries will be subject to six months quarantine. Pets coming to Ireland from the UK (or the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man) are not subject to the quarantine or passport requirements.

For full information on bringing your pet into Ireland see HERE


Bringing your family to Ireland

If you are an EU/EEA/UK or Swiss citizen living in Ireland, then you have the right to bring certain family members to live with you here even if they are not themselves EU/EEA/UK or Swiss citizens.

If you are from outside the EU/EEA/UK or Switzerland, then your right to have family members come to live with you depends on the rules governing your presence in Ireland -  If you have a Critical Skills Employment Permit (previously a the Green Card) or a Hosting Agreement you may bring your family to live with you in Ireland immediately. If you have a work permit, you may be able to bring your family to live here after you have been legally working here for a year.

Your spouse and dependants aged under 18 may apply for a spousal/dependant work permit once they are legally resident in Ireland on the basis of being your spouse or dependant.


Enrolling your children in school

All children in Ireland are entitled to free primary and post-primary education. The majority of schools are state-funded which means that you will not have to pay annual fees for your child's education. If you choose to send your child to a private school, you will have to pay fees. These can vary considerably from school to school. Contact the school of your choice to ask for details of fees and other expenses. There are attachments below with a list of primary and post primary schools in Cork.

See the Dept of Education's website for information on schooling in Ireland, and the additional support available to non-English speaking pupils.

Staff Wellbeing & Development

First Floor, Block E, Food Science Building, UCC, T12 YN60