Cork Life

Commuting & Parking

For information on commuting, access and parking see the following pages on the Buildings & Estates website


Health Care

When you are settled into your chosen area of living, it is advised that you register with a local doctor known as a GP (General Practitioner). You can get a list of all GPs in your area from your local Health Office. Unless you have a Medical Card or GP Visit Card you will have to pay for GP visits, prices vary according to each GP, but they are generally around €50.

VHILaya Healthcare and Aviva Insurance offer UCC staff members a group discount scheme. By joining the group schemes, you will have the advantage of a 10% discount on subscription rates. All schemes provide varying rates of health care cover for hospital accommodation, consultants fees, GP visits, in-patient and out-patient treatment, etc.

Contact Kathy O'Connell on ext 2674 for more information on any of the health insurance providers.

As an Irish resident you are entitled to get healthcare through the public system in countries of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland if you become ill or injured while on a temporary stay there, through the European Health Insurance Card.



The UCC Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) is a free and confidential service for UCC employees and their household family members (counselling is only available to those aged 18 and above). To ensure the confidentiality of the service, the programme has been outsourced to EAP Consultants.

Unlimited telephone couselling and short term face-to-face counselling (up to 8 sessions per year) with qualified counsellors is available FREE OF CHARGE.

See  webpages for more information


Staff Sports & Social Club

The staff sports and social club provides an opportunity for new and current staff to interact with other staff in a social environment. See the Sports and Social Website.


Mardyke Sports Arena

Discounted rates are available for UCC staff members at Mardyke Sports Arena


Social Security Entitlements

Employees are obliged to pay social insurance contributions, which are referred to as PRSI (Pay Related Social Insurance). The rate of contributions paid by new UCC employees is known as Class A. Employees who pay social insurance are entitled to a wide range of benefits, which include dental, optical and aural treatment. However, entitlement to these benefits depend on a number of conditions other than the social insurance contribution requirement, such as satisfying a habitual residence rule. For more information click HERE  

If you have come from a country covered by EU Regulations or Bilateral Social Security Agreements, your pension rights from the other country are protected when you move to Ireland. You may be able to combine your insurance records from Ireland and another country in order to qualify for a pension or social insurance payment. Many UK benefits including national insurance pensions can continue to be paid to you by the UK Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) if you move from the UK to Ireland.


Long Term Residency / Citizenship

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to obtain long-term residence rights.

If you have been here on the basis of work permit conditions for over 5 years, you may apply for extended residence permission for a further 5 years. Your spouse and dependants may also apply for long-term residence if they have been legally resident in Ireland for at least 5 years. If your application is successful you will be granted exemption from the requirement to have a work permit in order to work in Ireland and you will get a stamp number 4 on your passport.

If you have been here on the basis of a hosting agreement or green card for over 2 years, you may also apply for long term residency.

It is also possible to apply for Irish citizenship through naturalisation after you have built up 5 years of reckonable residence for citizenship purposes.


Right to Vote

If you are resident in Ireland you may have the right to vote in some of elections.

The right to vote is as follows:

  • Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum;
  • British citizens may vote at Dáil elections, European elections and local elections
  • Other European Union (EU) citizens may vote at European and local elections
  • Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections only

Click HERE for information on how to register as a voter.  


Support Services for Foreign Nationals in Ireland

There is a range of support services for foreign nationals in Ireland, such as the following:

  • There are a number of foreign embassies and consulates in Ireland that provide consular services to nationals of their country. These services include advice and practical help with travel documentation. If you lose your passport or travel documentation when you are in Ireland, you will need to contact your country’s embassy or consulate.
  • The Immigrant Council of Ireland (ICI) is an independent, national organisation which supports migrants coming to Ireland for purposes such as work, study, family reunification, self-employment or to visit. The ICI provides an information service and a limited legal service to immigrants.
  • The Migrant Rights Centre (MRC) is a national organisation which provides support to migrant workers and their families.
  • Citizens Information is a comprehensive source of information on public services in Ireland. Information is available on issues such as residence rights, employment rights, health services, housing, social security entitlements and general information about moving to Ireland.

Staff Wellbeing & Development

First Floor, Block E, Food Science Building, UCC, T12 YN60