Public Engagement Manager - Research Support Officer Administration
Job Posted: 08 Feb 2019
Closing Date for Applications: 01 Mar 2019
School: APC Microbiome Ireland
College: College of Medicine and Health
Contract Type: Fixed Term Whole-Time
Job Type: Research
Salary: €38,000 p.a. (Personal Rate)
APC Microbiome Ireland (APC) was formed in 2003 with funding from Science Foundation Ireland and in conjunction with key industry partners. It represents a seamless collaboration between UCC, Teagasc, Moorepark and CIT. It is widely recognised that the gut microbiota plays an important role in human health and has become one of the most dynamic, complex and exciting areas of research in both food and pharmaceutical arenas. Over the last decade the APC has established itself as one of the leading global centres in gut microbiota research. The APC has made several landmark discoveries and has published over 2500 research articles in peer-reviewed journals, generating many journal covers and associated editorials. The APC comprises over 300 individuals, from the scientific PI’s (the APC Faculty) funded by the partner Institutions, the management team, and a dedicated group of research scientists, research assistants and postgraduates students. APC Microbiome Ireland recognises that scientific advances can only be implemented with the support of an informed population and therefore the APC has a very active outreach programme and supports SFI’s Agenda 2020 goal “To have the most engaged and scientifically informed public”. All APC staff play an active role in sharing our excitement about APC research, engaging with patient groups, consumers and young people, in order to encourage future generations to develop an understanding of the science issues that affect society.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organized and dynamic biologist to join the APC’s Management team in the role of Public Engagement Manager to develop and deliver the APC’s Education and Public Engagement (EPE) programme to ensure it is effective and measurable. The successful candidate will work closely with the APC’s Communications Manager.
Description of Role
- Development, delivery and evaluation of the APC Microbiome Ireland’s Education and Public Engagement (EPE) strategy and programme and tools (e.g. logic models) to select optimal activities.
- Overall responsibility for APC’s public engagement programme, including activities for schools, general public, industry, APC research community etc.
- Embedding a culture and promotion of participation in EPE among the APC community.
- Support APC researchers in developing and delivering engaging educational content and public engagement activities through training and developing their confidence.
- Co-ordination and delivery of schools programmes; e.g. primary (Microbe Magic) and secondary (Budding Biologists) school programmes, including schools visits in the greater Munster Region which involve presentations and simple experiments on science topics to pupils.
- Development and delivery of lab workshops in UCC teaching labs for secondary school students on topics such as microbiology and molecular biology and co-ordinate APC’s weeklong Transition Year programmes.
- Develop new relationships with primary and secondary schools, particularly DEIS (disadvantaged) schools.
- Co-ordination and representation of APC at national science festivals & other exhibitions e.g. Cork Science Festival, National Ploughing Championships.
- Help to co-ordinate information sessions on APC research and related topics for the General Public, and industry workshops.
- Maintenance of APC Education & Public Engagement records.
- Assist Communications Manager with communications activities such as development of content for APC’s Gut Reaction Newsletter and development and posting of content on the APC websites (http://apc.ucc.ie & http://microbemagic.ucc.ie/ ) and APC social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram).
- Develop new ideas and activities for APC’s Public Engagement programme and seek funding and develop proposals for same.
- General Administration duties as required by the Director & General Manager of the APC, such as help with organisation of APC Conferences etc.
- Development of EPE reports for APC’s Governance and Annual Reports.
- Development and implementation of methods to evaluate the impact of APC’s public engagement activities.
- Networking with relevant groups nationally and internationally to enhance citizen engagement and dialogue.
- Developing a strategy to evaluate EPE activities.
- Contribute to APC Social media.
- Contribute to Development of APC Videos.
- Coordinate APC MOOC.
- Coordinate APC activities for World Microbiome Day.
Post Duration: 24 months
Salary: €38,000 p.a. (Personal Rate)
Provision of high level administrative support in a complex research environment consisting of many interdisciplinary programme grants and multiple Principal Investigators is often associated with research expertise in the relevant research area.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To support the Director or Head of the Research area to achieve the agreed strategic and administrative goals of the research area.
- To provide an effective administrative framework to support the ongoing development of the research project/area.
- To advise the Director/Head of the Research area of appropriate administrative structures and procedures to give effect to agreed and approved policies. To be responsible for the development and implementation of positive and appropriate administrative work practices.
- To implement agreed policy and procedures including administration, personnel, and resources for the overall development of the research project/area.
- To manage the secretarial/administrative functions as required.
- To allocate, delegate and supervise work of the administrative staff, as is appropriate, ensuring its effective operation.
- To provide specific technical inputs to the research agenda such as literature review, data analysis and preparing reports. Writing and contributing to research reports, policy briefs and other documents.
- To support activities of the research project as required, such as assisting in workshops, producing written outputs, in conjunction with the Director/Head of the Research area.
POLICY ADVICE AND DISSEMINATION
- To present research results internally and externally at conferences, meetings, including preparing presentations.
- To disseminate research results through web pages, media conferences etc.
- To represent the research project/area at events, meetings and networking.
- To administer financial and budgetary functions, including purchasing and cost controls in consumables, equipments and part-time pay, in conjunction with the Director/Head of the Research area.
- To support researchers in the preparation of project proposals.
- Review and monitor the financial of all research grants and the overall research area.
- To propose strategic or operational priorities and to advise on achieving the effective and value-for-money allocation of budgets and resources.
- To ensure proper use of resources, compliance and integrity of systems in accordance with University policies, procedures and standards and in agreement with the Director/Head of the Research area.
- To assist the Director/Head of the Research area with logistical planning of human, physical and financial requirements for the research project.
- To identify opportunities for external relationships and collaboration.
- To contribute to the development of the strong external links to business and industry.
- To contribute to the promotion and marketing of the research area.
- To produce, when required, appropriate promotional and marketing literature.
- To assist with the preparation of recruitment advertisements and job particulars for posts within the research area
- To assist with managing the administrative workloads to support the research project/area.
- To liaise with HR as required regarding on research staff personal details and/or terms and conditions of employments for research staff contracts.
The list of duties detailed above is not intended to be exclusive or restrictive and may be adjusted dependent on the area of research.
- A graduate qualification i.e. BSc, MSc or PhD in a field or discipline relevant to EPE for APC Microbiome Ireland. Desirable: MSc in Science Communication.
- A full clean driving licence is essential.
- Desirable: Extensive experience in developing and delivering education and public engagement.
- Desirable: experience in evaluation of education and public engagement.
- Proven experience of providing high level administrative support to a research project or in a research area.
- Demonstrable achievements in delivering results on a research project or in a research area.
- Ability to interact with stakeholders from a range of disciplines.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Strong IT, report writing and organizational skills.
- High level of initiative
- Please note that Garda vetting and international police clearance check will form part of the selection process.
For Informal Enquiries on the post candidates should contact:
Name: Catherine Buckley
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +353 21 4903362
Please submit a short cover letter and C.V. including the email contacts of 2 REFEREES by email to Grainne Heelan (email@example.com) quoting in the Subject Line the Unique ID OP12, on or before the closing date 1st March 2019.
Interviews may be scheduled for week beginning 11th March. Supplementary Information on the Department/Research Centre and the post is available at the following URL: apc.ucc.ie
University College Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer
« Back to Research Vacancies