Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher
Job Posted: 16 Jun 2017
Closing Date for Applications: 31 Jul 2017
Department: Environmental Research Institute (ERI)
School: School of Engineering
College: College of Science, Engineering and Food Science
Contract Type: Fixed Term Whole-Time
Job Type: Research
Salary: €44,643-€47,225 p.a. (IUA Salary Scale)
The MaREI Centre is a key energy and marine research centre within UCC’s Environmental Research Institute (ERI) and has over 30 years of experience in conducting fundamental and applied research supported by competitively won national and international funding, and commercial contracts with government agencies and industry. MaREI’s Energy Policy and Modelling Group develops and uses advanced energy systems modelling techniques to explore low-carbon energy futures and associated technology opportunities across various scenarios of ambition, risk and cost. This research is used to inform short term and long term energy and climate policy decisions.
The Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher will develop long-term scenarios for energy supply and demand in Ireland. They will develop scenarios out to 2030, 2040 and 2050 to fully understand the long-term implications of climate change policy on gas demand. This will allow them to investigate how much CCS is needed and by when to protect Irish gas demand; the techno-economic impact of gas, biogas and existing gas infrastructure versus replacement with alternatives; understand the potential for renewable energy production and its possible interactions and contribution to the renewable gas sector; the impact of much greater levels of electrification in Ireland across all sectors (in particular heating and transport); and the potential for Power to Gas and impact on the gas and electricity network. ERVIA and Gas Networks Ireland are industrial funders of the research.
The successful candidate should possess a doctorate in energy systems modelling or equivalent and relevant experience.
Post duration: 2 years (1/8/2017- 31/7/2019)
Salary: €44,643-€47,225 p.a. (IUA Salary Scale)
Project: ERVIA Post Doctorate on Integrated Energy Systems Modelling
SENIOR POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCHER
This is an advanced research training role, building on their prior experience as a Post-Doctoral Researcher in UCC or elsewhere, where you will conduct a specified programme of research and research training under the guidance of a Principal Investigator. The primary purpose of the role is to deliver research results and objectives, develop new or advanced research skills and competencies, the successful development of funding proposals and to interact in the supervision and mentorship of graduate students, in conjunction with an academic supervisor.
The Post-Doctoral/Senior Post-Doctoral phase has an expected duration up to a maximum of 6 years, subject to the term of the project, on a full-time or part-time basis. Movement to the grade of Senior Post-Doctoral researcher in the University will be by competing for an advertised post. External appointments made directly to Senior Post-Doctoral research positions must have previous post-doctoral experience of at least 3 years.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To conduct and lead a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator/Project Leader.
- To secure competitive research funding for research proposals
- To engage in appropriate and professional development opportunities as required by your Principal Investigator, School or College.
- To assume a role in the design as well as the execution of research, contributing significantly to the development of research proposals and funding successes.
- To support the Principal Investigator and research group in the design and development of a research programme.
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research, as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- To engage in the wider research activities of the Research Group, School or College.
- To interact closely with postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with the supervisor or supervision team.
- To conduct administrative and management work associated with the research project.
- To carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- To engage in costing research grant proposals and take on financial management of projects.
- A PhD qualification.
- Extensive competence and experience in a related research area.
- Supervisory skills.
- Leadership potential.
- Experience of applying for and securing funding.
- Please note that Garda vetting and international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
For Informal Enquiries on the post candidates should contact:
Name: Sean McAuliffe
Title: Research Support Officer, Energy Policy and Modelling
Email Address: email@example.com
Telephone: +353 21 420 5263
Please submit a short cover letter, and a C.V. to Sean McAuliffe, Research Support Officer, Energy Policy & Modelling Group, Environmental Research Institute, firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the closing date 31st July 2017.
Supplementary Information on the Department/Research Centre and the post is available at the following URL: https://www.ucc.ie/en/energypolicy/
University College Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer
« Back to Research Vacancies