Post-Doctoral Researcher Unique ID KvS1
Job Posted: 31 Mar 2017
Closing Date for Applications: 14 Apr 2017
Department: APC Microbiome Institute
College: College of Medicine and Health
Contract Type: Fixed Term Whole-Time
Job Type: Research
Salary: € 36,488 - 43,394 p.a.
The APC Microbiome Institute (APC) was formed in 2003 with funding from Science Foundation Ireland and in conjunction with key industry partners. It represents a seamless collaboration between UCC, Teagasc, Moorepark and CIT. It is widely recognised that the gut microbiota plays an important role in human health and has become one of the most dynamic, complex and exciting areas of research in both food and pharmaceutical arenas. Over the last decade the APC has established itself as one of the leading global centres in gut microbiota research. The APC has made several landmark discoveries and has published over 1000 research articles in peer-reviewed journals, generating many journal covers and associated editorials. The APC comprises over 250 individuals, from the scientific PI’s (the APC Faculty) funded by the partner Institutions, the management team, and a dedicated group of research scientists, research assistants and postgraduates students.
Description of Role
The holder of this position will be responsible for the execution of a project involving the isolation of lactic acd bacteria and yeasts with antifungal activity against a number of spoilage organisms. These antifungal isolates will be characterised with respect to their species identity, their inhibitory range and the particular circumstances under which they produce this antimicrobial activity. Furthermore, the chemical nature of the antimicrobial compounds will be assessed using standard methodologies.
The ideal candidate for this position holds a PhD degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry or equivalent discipline, and will ideally possess experience in the isolation of lactic acid bacteria and/or yeast with antimicrobial activity. A proven track record in peer-reviewed publication of research is also a requirement.
Post duration: 12 months
Salary: €36,488 - 43,394 p.a.
Project: Microbes to Molecules
Key Duties and Responsibilities
This title will apply to newly qualified Post-Doctoral Researchers and will be considered as a period of training as the researcher will have dual goals in terms of the research project and their own career development. The researcher will be mentored by a Principal Investigator (PI). It is expected that a researcher would spend not more than 3 years at the Post Doctoral level, subject to the term of the project and would then be eligible to compete for a Senior Post Doctoral post advertised by the University.
The primary focus of the Postdoctoral Researcher will be research however a particular emphasis during this stage should include;
* To conduct a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator/Project Leader.
* To engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, School or College in order to develop research skills and competencies.
* To gain experience in grant writing.
* To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research in which they are engaged, as directed by, with the support of and under the supervision of a Principal Investigator.
* To become familiar with the publication process.
* To acquire generic and transferable skills (including project management, business skills and postgraduate mentoring/supervision).
* To engage in the wider research and scholarly activities of the research group, School or College.
* To interact closely with postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and possibly have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with an academic supervisor.
* To carry out administrative work to support the programme of research.
* To carry out additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
* To contribute to costing research grant proposals and assist in the financial management of a research project.
* A PhD qualification.
* Appropriate research experience.
* Appropriate technical competence and accomplishment.
* A capability of working within a project team to achieve results.
* Good communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
* A commitment to gaining practical experience working on a research project.
* Ability to work well within a team.
* Please note that Garda vetting and international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
For Informal Enquiries on the post candidates should contact:
Name: Douwe van Sinderen
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 021 - 4901365
Please submit a short cover letter and C.V. and quote unique position id KvS1 to Gráinne Heelan, Research Support Officer, APC Microbiome Institute, on or before the closing date 14th April 2017.
Email: email@example.com ; Tel: 021-4901430
Supplementary Information on the Department/Research Centre and the post is available at the following URL: http://www.ucc.ie/research/apc/content/
University College Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer
« Back to Research Vacancies