Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher
Job Posted: 09 Dec 2016
Closing Date for Applications: 16 Dec 2016
School: APC Microbiome Institute
College: College of Medicine and Health
Contract Type: Fixed Term Whole-Time
Job Type: Research
Salary: €43,643 - €46,255
The APC Microbiome Institute (APC) was formed in 2003 with funding from Science Foundation Ireland and in conjunction with key industry partners. It represents a seamless collaboration between UCC, Teagasc, Moorepark and CIT. It is widely recognised that the gut microbiota plays an important role in human health and has become one of the most dynamic, complex and exciting areas of research in both food and pharmaceutical arenas. Over the last decade the APC has established itself as one of the leading global centres in gut microbiota research. The APC has made several landmark discoveries and has published over 1000 research articles in peer-reviewed journals, generating many journal covers and associated editorials. The APC comprises over 250 individuals, from the scientific PI’s (the APC Faculty) funded by the partner Institutions, the management team, and a dedicated group of research scientists, research assistants and postgraduate students.
Within the context of ongoing comparative genomics efforts we are now recruiting a senior postdoctoral scientist with a bioinformatics background in order to support the BioIT platform. The ideal candidate should have experience in a wide variety of bioinformatic tools and applications, particularly in the area of geneom assembly, annotation and comparative genomics, as exemplified by a publication record in peer-reviewed journals.
Salary: €43,643 - €46,255 (IUA Scale)
Post Duration: 24 months
Project Title: BioIT platform Unique ID C1
Senior Post-Doctoral Researcher
This is an advanced research training role, building on their prior experience as a Post-Doctoral Researcher in UCC or elsewhere, where you will conduct a specified programme of research and research training under the guidance of a Principal Investigator. The primary purpose of the role is to deliver research results and objectives, develop new or advanced research skills and competencies, the successful development of funding proposals and to interact in the supervision and mentorship of graduate students, in conjunction with an academic supervisor.
The Post-Doctoral/Senior Post-Doctoral phase has an expected duration up to a maximum of 6 years, subject to the term of the project, on a full-time or part-time basis. Movement to the grade of Senior Post-Doctoral researcher in the University will be by competing for an advertised post. External appointments made directly to Senior Post-Doctoral research positions must have previous post-doctoral experience of at least 3 years.
Key duties and responsibilities
- To conduct and lead a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator/Project Leader.
- To secure competitive research funding for research proposals
- To engage in appropriate and professional development opportunities as required by your Principal Investigator, School or College.
- To assume a role in the design as well as the execution of research, contributing significantly to the development of research proposals and funding successes.
- To support the Principal Investigator and research group in the design and development of a research programme.
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research, as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- To engage in the wider research activities of the Research Group, School or College.
- To interact closely with postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with the supervisor or supervision team.
- To conduct administrative and management work associated with the research project.
- To carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- To engage in costing research grant proposals and take on financial management of projects.
- A PhD qualification.
- Extensive competence and experience in a research area.
- Supervisory skills.
- Leadership potential.
- Experience of applying for and securing funding.
- Please note that Garda vetting and international police clearance check may form part of the selection process.
For Informal Enquiries on the post candidates should contact:
Name: Douwe van Sinderen
Title: Professor of Molecular Microbiology
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit a short cover letter quoting the UNIQUE ID: C1, a comprehensive C.V. and the names of at least two referees by email only to Gráinne Heelan, email: email@example.com on or before the 16th December 2016.
Supplementary Information on the Department/Research Centre and the post is available at the following URL: http://apc.ucc.ie
University College Cork is an Equal Opportunities Employer
« Back to Research Vacancies