UCC Green Week 2021
Read more about UCC Green Week 2021
UCC Green Week 2021
Campuses around Ireland are coming together to promote the first National Green Week from March 8th to 12th. The theme of week is Sustainability, Diversity and Inclusion.
To celebrate, UCC Green Campus committee has come together with UCC Societies, UCC Students Union and colleagues from across the university for a week of climate action & sustainability. There are 30 different events and campaigns running throughout the week! See the details below:
Sustainability Scavenger Hunt: An Taisce Green Campus are giving away a €100 Reuzi voucher every day from March 8th – 12th. Take part in the Sustainability Scavenger Hunt by simply posting a picture from your area! This can be your local green space, a local green business, an amazing community project, a sustainable citizen, or even something to work on or improve. Follow @greencampusireland on Instagram, share your Sustainability Scavenger Hunt in your stories and/or feed and make sure to tag @greencampusireland and use the hashtag #GreenWeek2021.
Social Media Campaigns
UCC Goes Green – The Quad will be lit in green to mark Green Week 2021.
It’s Green Week Baby! – S2, Episode 05 of ‘What The Frack’, a podcast by UCC Envirosoc.
Creativity At Home – Join The Glucksman Gallery on social media for creative activities at home, using recyclable & sustainable materials. Twitter: @glucksman Insta: @theglucksman.
Music Inspired by Nature – Join UCC Orchestra Society on Instagram @UCCOrchestra for a week of music inspired by nature.
Walk 5, Pick 5, Tag 5 – UCC EnviroSoc Litter Picking Campaign. Go for a walk within your 5km; Pick 5 Pieces of Litter; Tag 5 Friends on Insta or Twitter to do the same. Share your pics with @UCCEnviroSoc.
Monday (March 8th)
- 1pm: Moving from Fast to Sustainable Fashion. A workshop organised by DCU Green Campus with Rónán Ó Dálaigh, Founder and CEO at Thriftify, Veronika Kisela – Fashion Revolution Ireland and Morgan Rafferty Caffrey – TU Dublin, Final Year Student. Register here.
- 2pm -3.30pm: ‘SDGs in the Curriculum, A Workshop for Green Campus Network Teaching Staff’; Dr John Barimo, UCC Green Campus & UCC CIRTL. Register here.
- 6pm: Meatless Meetup, Virtual Potluck. Join UCC EnviroSoc and friends to share a virtual veggie meal and have the chats. Here’s the link to the teams event.
- 7pm: Recycled Crafts. Raid your recycling bin and get crafty with UCC Scribble Society.
- 8pm: Virtual Week on the Farm – Reducing Antibiotics in Dairy: Cork dairy farmer Pat Aherne joins UCC Macra na Feirme to discuss his use of homeopathy to minimise antibiotics in his dairy herd.
- 8pm: ‘Human Flow’. Directed by renowned filmmaker Ai Weiwei the film examines the staggering scale of the refugee crisis & it’s profoundly personal human impact. A film screening with UCC Fáilte Refugee Society
Tuesday (March 9th)
- 12pm: Ecological Architecture A Talk by Paul McNally of The Passivhaus Architecture Company, hosted by UCC Architecture Society.
- 5pm: Ideas Forum, hosted by UCC WiSTEM.
- 7pm: Climate Justice Workshop; hosted by UCC SVP with contributions from UCC Societies Welfare & Accessibility Officer, Mair Kelly.
- 8pm: Why We are Called to Care for the Planet. UCC Christian Union Society hosts an evening with Prof. Robert Devoy, former member of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Register here.
Wednesday (March 10th)
- 12pm-2pm: Sustainability and the Environment: Developing New Disciplinary Norms in the Social Professions; Join the Research for Civil Society and Social Action (REACT) Cluster, at UCC for a panel discussion on SDG 13, Climate Action in the Social Professions. Register here.
- 1pm: Food & Biodiversity Workshop. An interactive workshop with Stephen Seaman from Maynooth University on how to make a Bee Hotel & a Carbon Equivalent Meal with Sam Fahy Dublin City University. Register here.
- 3pm: ‘Beyond Capitalism, Mapping an Eco-Social Future’. A lecture by Prof. Peadar Kirby. Hosted by SHEP Earth Aware & UCC Environmental Research Institute. Register here.
- 7pm: Environmental Quiz: Join UCC EnviroSoc for a fun and social environmental themed quiz. Click here to join the event and win a very special prize!
- TBC: ‘Whittled Away’ – Ireland’s Vanishing Nature. UCC Social Democrats society host ecologist, author and activist Padraic Fogarty.
Thursday (March 11th)
- 4pm: Green Campus Stories from Latin America UCC International Office and UCC Green Campus will be joined by three Latin American Universities to share their Green Campus experiences. Email Cliona.email@example.com to register.
- 6pm: Medics Gone Green. UCC Surgical Society hosts guest speaker Dr Ana Rakovac from Irish Doctors for the Environment. The talk will discuss the different types of medical waste being produced daily, how they are managed and disposed of as well as the impact it has on the environment.
- 6pm-8pm: Putting Sustainability in its Place – The SDGs and Communities. Lectures from the University Wide Module in Sustainability hosted by UCC Green Campus & Dept. of Sociology & Criminology. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- 7pm: Landscape Painting. Embrace your inner Bob Ross and celebrate the environment with UCC Scribble Soc.
- 7pm: UCC PhySoc Climate Conference. Dr Matthias Reich (IPP) will discuss fusion energy & Prof Andy Ruth (UCC) will discuss the importance of ozone for life on earth. Hosted by UCC PhySoc.
- 8pm: Virtual Week on the Farm – Agriculture, Environment & Sustainability. UCC Macra na Feirme will be joined by Carbery Group Dairy Sustainability Advisor Aoife Feeney.
- 8pm: Paint a Plant Pot – Grab a plant pot, or anything else, and join UCC International Development Society and UCC EnviroSoc, for a social evening of painting and chats.
Friday (March 12th)
- 1pm: Changemakers – Green Week Student Panel. UCC Green Campus Committee Co-Chair Mark Falvey joins other Green Campus students from around Ireland for a panel discussion on student led initiatives. Register here.
- TBC: Promoting Sustainability in the Community. A Panel discussion with community led organisations, hosted by UCC Students Union.
- 7pm: “I am Greta” – Documentary Screening with UCC EnviroSoc. You can join that event by clicking here.