SUSI - Student Universal Support Ireland - is the awarding authority for all new student grant applications. If you are thinking of embarking on a higher education course you should visit the SUSI Online Student Grant Application System website.

The Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) allows certain qualifying people to return to full-time education in approved courses while continuing to get income support.   You can work part-time without your BTEA payment being affected. You can get the Back to Education Allowance for a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (HDip.) qualification in any discipline or the Professional Masters in Education. Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA. The only exception to this is where an applicant may be admitted to a Master’s course without a primary degree on the basis of prior experiential learning.

All information in respect of the BTEA application procedure and eligibility criteria is available from the Department of Social Protection webpages at:

  • The Student Assistance Fund provides financial assistance for registered full-time higher education students who are experiencing financial difficulties whilst attending college.
  • The fund covers expenses such as living expenses for food.
  • The fund usually opens in September of each academic year.
  • Please check this website in September for details and email for further details 

UCC Budgetary Advisor

Evan Healy is the UCC Budgetary Advisor. Evan's role is to help UCC student's manage their money by:

  • Providing "one to one" advice and guidance to students on managing your money.
  • Delivering workshops on budgeting for students, where information and practical advice will be available to you.
  • Assisting in the completion of your Student Grant scholarship and Student Assistance Fund applications.
  • Liaising with external agencies, such as MABS, Dept of Social Welfare and Protection, Local Authorities and St. Vincent de Paul, on your behalf.

Furher details on the Budgetary advisor are available here:

Email: or Phone: +353 (0)21 490 2151

Many postgraduate students work part-time while studying.

Finding work:

- For on-campus work check your emails regularly and the Students' Union Facebook page and Twitter account.

- Visit our Careers Service and keep up to date with their news feeds.

- Call into local businesses in Cork City and look out for signs in business windows advertising vacancies.

- Check national jobs websites such as and

While it is possible to balance work and study, do not underestimate the amount of self-directed study involved in undertaking a postgraduate qualification. If you are completing a masters course, you will be expected to work on your dissertation over the summer months.

Our university refund policy is available on our Fees Office website

Close X