- What is the Graduate Attributes Programme
- Students: Supporting your transitions to develop attributes and values
- Staff: Working together to deliver our Graduate Attributes Programme
- Employers: How UCC is preparing students to transition out into professional environments
- About Us
- Events to Support Your Transition Through UCC
- Events to Support Your Transition Out of UCC
- What we are working on
- Prospective Students
Nurturing Bright Futures
Welcome to your future!
Nurturing Bright Futures is a six module course that has been designed to equip you with the information you need as you prepare to transition into third level education. We hope it will be especially helpful for those of you who cannot access our campus easily, for a range of different reasons. It is designed to be interactive and for you to engage with the material. It will create spaces for you to undertake self-reflective exercises and will stimulate conversations - with your friends, family, teachers and Guidance Counsellors - to optimise your university-readiness.
The Nurturing Bright Futures space will provide you with the opportunity to engage with the topic of your future, a potential college experience and many related themes and it will equip you with skills and tools that you can carry into your chosen degree when you start college. It will also help you to make the most of the resources around you such as your friends, family, Guidance Counsellors and teachers.
Through the use of video lessons, podcasts, articles, exercises, quizzes and other helpful resources, these six modules will give you the opportunity to engage with a variety of resources and introduce you to ways and approaches to college life and college degrees.
Who is it for, how can it help me?
This course is for all students who are transitioning into university, whether that is via the CAO, through access routes such as HEAR and DARE, QQI or as a mature or international student. Through the use of video, articles, interactive worksheets, reflective exercises and other helpful resources, this course will give you the opportunity to understand more about yourself and to get to know more about higher education and more about UCC. It will also provide a forum for you to engage with UCC on a variety of levels, and will help prepare you for the journey ahead.
This course is also a resource for your Guidance Counsellor and your parents/guardians, to help them to help you with this transition. It is designed to provide information and stimulate conversations with these key people in your life, to get you thinking in a structured way, so that you can consult and make informed decisions about your post-secondary school options.
By taking this course, you will increase your self-awareness, knowledge and skills, which will help you make informed choices about what courses to choose. It will also help you prepare for the transition by giving you a better idea of what to expect in the next chapter of your journey. This course has been designed to help you to better understand yourself, so that you can make the best choices possible for your future.
In the course of this module, you will learn the following skills and you will be introduced to the following topics:
- You will learn skills to help you pick the course that is right for you
- You will explore how your degree choices relate to career options
- You will engage with information on different decision-making styles
- You will learn about practical tips and guidance on how to prepare for the transition to third level education
- You will receive information on the "Realities of University Life"
- You will take a closer look at information on UCC's Graduate Attributes Programme and what that means for you