1. What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?

What symptoms should keep me at home?

If you have any common symptoms of COVID-19 (coronavirus), you should self-isolate and phone your GP straight away to get a COVID-19 test.

If you have a cough or fever or breathlessness or loss or change in your senses of smell or taste, you may have COVID-19 and testing may be required

If you have any of these symptoms, you should telephone the Student Health Service on (021) 4902311 or your own GP. 

Do not leave your home. You should self-isolate in a closed room and follow the Doctor's advice when they return your telephone call.

Do not go to the Student Health Centre, or your Doctor's surgery or to an A+E. You may put others at risk and may spread infection. Telephone for advice as described above.


It can take up to 14 days for symptoms to show. They can be similar to symptoms of cold and flu. If you have cold or flu symptoms, telephone the Student Health Service on (021) 4902311 or your own GP. 

If you are in doubt about any symptoms you have, telephone your GP or Student Health Services. They will discuss your symptoms with you and advise you on any steps you may need to take.


2. If I am called for a test, how long do I isolate for? Will my household need to self-isolate or restrict their movements?

If your GP decides that you need to be tested, they will arrange a test for you. You will need to self-isolate while you wait for your test. The people in your household will need to restrict their movements.

While you wait for your test, you should behave as if you have the virus and self-isolate. People in your household will need to restrict their movements.

Source 1

Source 2


3. What should I do if I have been in close contact with or live with some with someone with COVID-19?

You should restrict your movements, which means to stay in your accommodation.


You must also act promptly if you develop symptoms to suggest you may have COVID-19. If you develop symptoms you will need to self-isolate and telephone UCC Student Health on 4902311 or your GP or local Out of Hours service,

Do not go to a GP surgery, Pharmacy, Accident and Emergency Department or Hospital. Telephone your doctor. The doctor will assess you over the phone. If they think you need to be tested for COVID-19, your Doctor will arrange a test. 


4. How long should I isolate for if my test is positive?

Only stop self-isolation when both of these apply to you;

  • You have had no fever for 5 days
  • It has been 10 days since you first developed symptoms.

But there are some exceptions.

Not detected test result

If you had a test because you had symptoms, and the virus was not detected, you still need to continue to self-isolate until you are 48 hours without symptoms. This is because you may have another infectious illness, such as flu.

If the test was because you were a close contact, continue to follow advice for close contacts.


5. What if my test is negative, and I have to take a 2nd test?

Restrict your movements for 14 days - even if your test comes back negative.


Second tests for close contacts

You may get a second test even if your first test is negative. This is because it can take up to 14 days for the virus to show up in your system after you have been exposed to it. You will need to continue to restrict your movements, even if your first test was negative.

A contact tracer will ask you for the date that you last had contact with a positive case. You may be invited for a second test 7 days after this date. Your contact tracer will tell you if you need a second test.

If you do not know when your last contact took place, the contact tracer will record the date of the interview as the last date of contact. Your second test will be for 7 days after this date.

If you are not a close contact and your GP refers you for a test (separate to contact tracing), you will just get one test. In this case, you will not get a second test.


6. If I am identified as a contact, can I come to college?

No. The HSE advice is;


7. If someone close to me starts to experience symptoms and I have good reason to believe that I am a close contact, what steps should I take?

If you live with someone who has symptoms of COVID-19

Restrict your movements, even if you feel well.

The person who has symptoms should behave as if they have COVID-19 and;

The person you live with may be referred for a test for COVID-19.

If their test is positive you will be identified as a close contact

If the virus is not detected (negative) in their test, you no longer need to restrict your movements. Continue to follow the advice to protect yourself and others.


8. What should I do if someone I live with has been identified as a close contact?

You do not need to restrict your movements if you live with or have been in contact with a person who has been told they are a close contact. But you may be at risk of catching COVID-19 if you live with them and they become unwell. You should follow the advice about protecting yourself and others from COVID-19.

You will become a close contact yourself if they test positive for COVID-19.


9. What should I do if I miss an assessed laboratory practical or other assessment in an FS, NS or DT module for Covid-19 reasons?

For academic management of your absence, you should complete the Explained Absence Form.

FAQ Infographic






School of Food and Nutritional Sciences

School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, Room 240 Food Science Building, University College, Cork