Graduate Development Programme - Diploma in Leadership for the Agri Food Sector
Graduate training is a vital part of the development of young professionals for the modern workplace. Many sectors have well established graduate training programmes. While some of the larger food companies have dedicated graduate training programmes, SMEs in Ireland have limited scope to develop sectorally-relevant graduate training programmes that meet the developmental needs of young graduates entering this sector. In response to this, Macra Agricultural Skillnet and UCC have collaborated to offer an exceptional, significantly subsidised graduate programme. This agri-food specific graduate development programme which leads to a level 7, Diploma in Leadership for the Agri-Food Sector offers a valuable bridge between University and working life and will provide relevant business, management, leadership and professional development skills to young graduates in SME companies, without burdening the companies with the expense of developing an in-house programme.
Aims and Objectives
This programme is designed to meet the management and leadership development needs of young agri-food graduates in the first three years of their working life. Alongside the core technical business skills and best practice tools, the programme will equip participants with motivation and coaching skills that will enhance their professional identity and capability. As a result of this programme, participants will be able to embrace new challenges within their organisation and help to grow and have a lasting impact on their company in this fast-paced industry.
Who should attend?
- Graduates who are working in an SME agri-food company and have the ambition and motivation to develop their core management skills.
- Graduates of Food Science, Agriculture or related disciplines who have graduated in the last three to five years, ideally.
- For applicants without a Level 8 Degree, prior experiential learning and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be taken into account.
What our Current Students Say
“The Diploma in Leadership course is a fantastic opportunity to gain some formal education behind the aspects of management and leadership that are so integral to career development in the food industry. A great insight into all aspects of leadership and management from the importance of communication, project management, time management and financial information”
Ms Léan O’Connor BSc, MSc Food Science & Technology, Business Development Manager, Drover Foods Ltd.
“The Diploma is very relevant for anyone seeking to move towards a more supervisory or management role, with real references and scenarios. It gave me the opportunity to learn and work alongside future leaders of the agri-food sector”
Mr Tennyson Egar B.Agr.Sc, Operations and Strategic Account Manager, Irish Hereford Prime
Programme Design and Delivery
The Programme design facilitates individuals who wish to study on a part-time basis and integrate their studies with their careers. Participants will attend ten two-day interactive workshops which will be held alternately at UCC, and a geographically convenient hotel venue, or indeed online should Covid restrictions dictate.
An in-company project is undertaken by each student which enables course participants to gain an in-depth appreciation of a topic of their choice within their company. In addition, the in-company project affords each participant an opportunity to apply, test and integrate the theories, concepts and frameworks presented throughout the whole course. The incompany project will be based on research conducted in the participant’s company, or within the market served by the company, or with stakeholders relevant to the participant’s company. Participants will be mentored by FITU and also by an in-company mentor in the development and implementation of the project. In addition, participants will be visited in their place of work to help maximise the outcomes and impact of their project and its relevance to their company.
VENUE: UCC/Centrally located hotel venue / Online (Covid dependent)
1. Introduction to Management
|15th, 16th Sept 2021|
2. Performance Management
|13th, 14th Oct 2021|
3. Business Planning
|10th, 11th Nov 2021|
4. Time Management
|8th, 9th, Dec 2021|
5. Project Management & Team working
|12th, 13th Jan 2022|
|2nd, 3rd Feb 2022|
7. Communication & Presentation skills
|2nd, 3rd Mar 2022|
8. Decision Making and Critical Thinking
|30th, 31st Mar 2022|
9. Finance for Non Financial Managers
|27th, 28th Apr 2022|
10. Innovation, Sales & Marketing
|25th, 26th May 2022|
Why Choose this Diploma
- This Diploma structure is based on over twenty seven years’ experience training young professionals through the Food Industry Training Unit, University College Cork (www.ucc.ie/en/fitu) in the agri-food sector.
- A dedicated, experienced and tested team of a programme manager, lecturers and administration staff run this programme. The programme manager will ensure ongoing mentoring and coaching and this is complemented by the presence of lecturers and presenters.
- The UCC team will work closely with participants and their companies in order to address individual and company needs. This will involve visits by UCC to participating companies.
- This proposed programme is a completely bespoke graduate development programme designed specifically to meet the needs of young graduates in the Irish SME, agri-food sector.
- The FITU provides ready access to national and international networks of subject matter experts who contribute on an ongoing basis to our programmes.
- The programme has a University status to provide academic integrity to the programme as well as access to teaching methodologies, locations and facilities.
- This programme will be accredited by University College Cork at level 7 in the National Framework of Qualifications.
Registration and Cost
Click here for further information and registration
Cost: The net cost to the company is €5,200 per student, payable in two instalments in September 2021 and January 2022. Places are limited to a maximum number of twenty.
The brochure for the 2020/2021 academic year is available here: Graduate Development Programme Brochure 2021
Funding Acknowledgment: Macra Agricultural Skillnet is co-funded by Skillnet Ireland and member companies. Skillnet Ireland is funded from the National Training Fund through the Department of Education and Skills; See Macra. ie/skillnet
For further information please contact:
Food Industry Training Unit
School of Food and Nutritional Sciences
College of Science, Engineering and Food Science University College Cork, Ireland
Tel. +353 21 490 3273 Mob: +353 86 383 0011