Graduate Development Programme - Diploma in Leadership for the Agri Food Sector
The closing date for applications is 7th January 2022
Graduate training is a vital part of the development of young professionals for the modern workplace. Many sectors have well established graduate training programmes. While some of the larger food companies have dedicated graduate training programmes, SMEs in Ireland have limited scope to develop sectorally-relevant graduate training programmes that meet the developmental needs of young graduates entering this sector. In response to this. Macra Agricultural Skill net and UCC have collaborated to offer an exceptional, significantly subsidised graduate programme now in its second year. This food and agriculture sectors targeted graduated development programme which leads to a Level 7 Diploma in Leadership offers a valuable bridge between University and working life and will provide relevant business, management, leadership and professional development skills to young graduates in SME companies, without burdening the companies with the expense of developing an in-house programme.
Aims and Objectives
This programme is designed to meet the management and leadership development needs of graduates in the Irish food and
agriculture sectors in the early years of their working lives. Alongside the core technical business skills and best practice
tools, the programme will equip participants with motivation and coaching skills that will enhance their professional
identity and capability. As a result of this programme, participants will be able to embrace new challenges within their
organisation and help to grow and have a lasting impact on their company in these fast-paced industries.
Who should attend?
- Graduates who are working in an SME food or agriculture related company and have the ambition and motivation to develop their core management skills.
- Graduates of Food Science, Agriculture or related disciplines who have graduated in recent years, ideally.
- For applicants without a Level 8 Degree, prior experiential learning and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be taken into account.
What our Current Students Say
“The Diploma in Leadership course is a fantastic opportunity to gain some formal education behind the aspects of management and leadership that are so integral to career development in the food industry. A great insight into all aspects of leadership and management from the importance of communication, project management, time management and financial information”
Ms Léan O’Connor BSc, MSc Food Science & Technology, Business Development Manager, Drover Foods Ltd.
“The Diploma is very relevant for anyone seeking to move towards a more supervisory or management role, with real references and scenarios. It gave me the opportunity to learn and work alongside future leaders of the agri-food sector”
Mr Tennyson Egar B.Agr.Sc, Operations and Strategic Account Manager, Irish Hereford Prime
Programme Design and Delivery
The Programme design facilitates individuals who wish to study on a part-time basis and integrate their studies with their careers. Participants will attend ten two-day interactive workshops which will be held alternately at UCC, and a geographically convenient hotel venue, or indeed online should Covid restrictions dictate.
An in-company project is undertaken by each student which enables course participants to gain an in-depth appreciation of a topic of their choice within their company. In addition, the in-company project affords each participant an opportunity to apply, test and integrate the theories, concepts and frameworks presented throughout the whole course. The incompany project will be based on research conducted in the participant’s company, or within the market served by the company, or with stakeholders relevant to the participant’s company. Participants will be mentored by FITU and also by an in-company mentor in the development and implementation of the project. In addition, participants will be visited in their place of work to help maximise the outcomes and impact of their project and its relevance to their company.
VENUE: UCC/Centrally located hotel venue / Online (Covid dependent)
1. Introduction to Management
|12th, 13th Jan 2022|
2. Performance Management
|8th, 9th Feb 2022|
3. Business Planning
|2nd, 3rd Mar 2022|
4. Time Management
|30th, 31st, Mar 2022|
5. Project Management & Team working
27th, 28th Apr 2022
|18th, 19th May 2022|
7. Communication & Presentation skills
|15th, 16th Jun 2022|
8. Decision Making and Critical Thinking
|6th, 7th Jul 2022|
9. Finance for Non Financial Managers
|17th, 18th Aug 2022|
10. Innovation, Sales & Marketing
|14th, 15th Sept 2022|
Why Choose this Diploma
- This Diploma structure is based on over twenty seven years' experience training young professionals through the Food Industry Training Unit, University College Cork (www.ucc.ie/en/fitu) in the agri-food sector.
- A dedicated, experienced and tested team of a programme manager, lecturers and administration staff run this programme. The programme manager will ensure ongoing mentoring and coaching and this is complemented by the presence of lecturers and presenters.
- The UCC team will work closely with participants and their companies in order to address individual and
company needs. This will involve visits by UCC to participating companies.
- This proposed programme is a completely bespoke graduate development programme designed specifically to meet the needs of graduates in the SME food and agriculture sectors.
- The FITU provides ready access to national and international networks of subject matter experts who contribute on an ongoing basis to our programmes.
- The programme has a University status to provide academic integrity to the programme as well as access to teaching methodologies, locations and facilities.
- This programme will be accredited by University College Cork at Level 7 in the National Framework of
Registration and Cost
Click here for further information and registration
Cost: The net cost to the company is €4,700 per student, payable in two instalments in Januray 2022 and May 2022. Places are limited to a maximum number of twenty.
The brochure for the 2021/2022 academic year is available here: Diploma in Leadership for the Agri Food Sector Brochure November 2021
Funding Acknowledgment: Macra Agricultural Skillnet is co-funded by Skillnet Ireland and member companies. Skillnet Ireland is funded from the National Training Fund through the Department of Education and Skills; See Macra. ie/skillnet
For further information please contact:
Food Industry Training Unit
School of Food and Nutritional Sciences
College of Science, Engineering and Food Science University College Cork, Ireland
Tel. +353 21 490 3273 Mob: +353 86 383 0011