COVID-19 Control Measures
General COVID-19 Control Measures
In order to protect the health of the University community and to minimise the risk of spread of COVID-19 the following general controls are to be adhered to when accessing any University building. These controls are in accordance with the Return to Work Safely Protocol.
Note: Specific controls related to the building being accessed are documented in the unit’s COVID-19 Operational/Response Plan. Existing fire and occupational health and safety regulations must continue to be adhered to.
- Adherence to the following at all times:
Social (Physical) Distancing Requirements
Public health guidelines require a distance of 2 metres or more, between people, where possible, when carrying out any task. Staff are to:
- Observe 2 metre social distancing where possible.
- Observe and follow all directional and other guidance signage within the building(s) and campus.
- Adhere to room/lab occupancy limits as displayed outside each room/lab.
- When entering/exiting any doors, please look left and right and proceed if clear.
- Keep 2m away from lift discharge points and stair access points.
- Minimise use of lifts or use them for the movement of heavy goods and impaired persons if possible. Lifts should be only used by one person at a time.
- When using a lift or stairs, please ensure that the lift is free or the stairwell is clear. Adhere to related signage instructions where one-way systems apply.
- If you see someone approaching any door, please stand back until they are clear.
- No hand-shaking.
- Meetings and communications should be conducted virtually using mobile technology e.g. MS Teams, email. If face to face communication is necessary, then it should take place, for as short a time as possible, in a large space where physical distancing can be maintained.
It is important that staff practice good hygiene at all times. Staff are to:
- Wash their hands with soap and water or sanitise with an alcohol-based hand rub regularly and in particular:
- before and after eating and preparing food
- after coughing or sneezing or blowing of one’s nose
- after using the toilet
- before smoking or vaping
- where hands are dirty
- before and after wearing gloves
- before and after being on public transport
- before leaving home
- when arriving/leaving the workplace/other sites
- after changing tasks
- after touching potentially contaminated surfaces
- if in contact with someone displaying any COVID-19 symptoms
- Not share pens/stationary and objects that touch their mouth, for example, bottles or cups
- Practice good respiratory measures to limit the spread of the virus including:
- avoid touching the face, eyes, nose and mouth
- cover coughs and sneezes with an elbow or a tissue
- dispose of tissues in a covered bin
- Clean their workstation and shared equipment before and after use.