We are trying to discover:
1. Who is leaving Ireland today;
2. Why are people departing;
3. Where are they going;
4. Do they intend to return to Ireland in the future;
5. What impact is current emigration is having on Irish society; and
6. How does current emigration compare to previous decades, such as the 1980s?
Our findings will be disseminated in a lengthy report in September 2013 that will be made freely available to the public online, a conference or webinar on the topic that the public and emigrants will be able to listen and contribute to online, and several academic articles to be published in various peer-reviewed journals. It is also expected that the project will serve as a test-bed and a precursor to a comparative EU study.