News & Events
The Future Generation of Teachers is Inspired
From July 24 to 26 UCC School of Education held the first Junior Teacher Camp. Students from Cork and Waterford attended this camp and went away with new skills, new friends, stronger motivation and some great memories.
The Junior Teacher Camp is a free summer camp at UCC for students entering 4th, 5th and 6th year that might be interested in becoming teachers. All students from DEIS schools are welcome, as are students from any of our target groups;
- Students with a disability
- Students from the Irish Traveller community
- Students from other ethnic minorities
- Students from target socio-economic groups
- Mature students (undergraduate only)
- Students who are lone parents
The camp included:
A tour of the Mardyke Arena
- These facilities are used for a lot of the classes that happen in our BEd Sports Studies and Physical Education Programme
An interactive science session in the Eureka Lab
- Declan Kennedy from the BSc Science Education wowed us with the magic of science
Sessions on mapping a path to the Postgraduate Masters in Education
- This session included information on the subjects needed for entrance to the Professional Master of Education postgraduate programme as well as information on the supports that are available to students from our target groups.
Information on courses within the College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences.
- Loretta Brady from CACSSS presented a range of subjects currently taught within the College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences and highlighted those that have been preapproved by the Teaching Council for registration.
Skills sessions, such as building your presentation skills
- The amazing staff at the UCC Skills Centre ran some highly interactive sessions on presentation skills which resulted in participants doing their own presentations on interesting topics like; Love Island, Space, Little Mix, Music of the 80s, Rowing and the benefits of Sports.
A panel discussion with successful teachers from the target groups
- The highlight of the camp for several students was the opportunity to meet three young teachers who have overcome obstacles of their own to become teachers. Meeting these teachers, James Cawley Jnr, Tara Buckley and Andrew Bane, armed the students with motivation and words of wisdom that will serve them well on their journey to becoming teachers.
Check out some of the fun in our event gallery!
For more on this story contact:
Roisin Kelly-Laubscher : Roisinkelly@ucc.ie